Sports and sporting activities to practice in Luxembourg
Passionate about a specific sport, do you want to continue practicing it in Luxembourg? Do you want to discover a new sport?
We offer you here a list of sports activities to practice in the Grand Duchy.
Indoor sports, sports halls and sports coaches
Luxembourg residents regularly practice sport, which is part of a lifestyle. In addition to private sports coaches who practice their activity as an individual, there are many sports halls and clubs to practice indoor activities. Ask to your neighbours or your colleagues, you will certainly hear about good addresses according to your objectives and your budget.
Are you a climbing fan? Several climbing walls are proposed in Luxembourg, among others at La Coque, Echternach youth hostel, Dudelange Hartmann sports center or the Red Rock Climbing Center Soleuvre with its wall of 450 m² and its room complies Olympic criteria! Also try “Funny Mountain” in Arlon, Belgium. From 5 to 85 years old, test the 27 fun and safe courses up to 10 metres high.
Outdoor sports, running, hiking, cycling
Even when the weather is rather cold, you will probably see many people practicing an outdoor sport: running, hiking, biking, mountain biking. It must be said that landscapes in Luxembourg invite to practising an outdoor sporting activity.
- For those who enjoy hiking, Nordic walking or simply walking around, there are several tours in the beautiful national parks. You can download the leaflets directly from the website of the Direction General of Tourism.
- If you are a cycling lover or a cycling enthusiast, check out the many bike tours in this country. Do not forget that great cycling champions like the famous Charly Gaul or the Schleck brothers are born in Luxembourg.
- For running fans and great marathon runners, do not miss the major running events in Luxembourg: ING Night Marathon in May, DKV Urban Trail a few weeks before, JP Morgan City Jogging in July and Route du Vin in September. For the most athletic ones, try the Mullerthal Ultra trail in September.
Outdoor fitness parks
The City of Luxembourg provides free open air fitness spaces for all athletes! The equipment is accessible to all, from 12 years old.
You will find one in Kockelscheuer next to the P+R Kockelscheuer and the children’s playground, and another one in the Petrusse Valley at 2 Rue Saint Quirin next to the mini-golf course.
Very nice swimming pools exist in Luxembourg. Ask to your municipality or in the surrounding area if you do not have one nearby. See also our references below.
Looking for an outdoor pool for hot summer days? Several pools offer beautiful outdoor areas such as the swimming pools of Grevenmacher, Dudelange, Niederanven, …
Public beaches in natural environment
For those who prefer swimming in nature, Luxembourg offers the opportunity to swim in lakes or ponds during the beautiful season, which lasts from May 1st until September 30th.
3 sites are regularly monitored in terms of water quality and offer public beaches: Lake Haute-Sûre in Boulaide, Esch-sur-Sûre and Lake Haute-Sûre, LakeWeiswampach in the municipality of Weiswampach,and pond Remerschen in the town of Remerschen in the south-east of the country.
Swimming lessons are in great demand in Luxembourg and waiting lists are sometimes long, up to 1 year or more … We give you here 2 adresses but you can ask to your municipal swimming pool too.
- Swimming Luxembourg asbl propose swimming lessons from 3 years old : introduction, improvement, competition, synchronised swimming, water polo, aqua gym, etc. Lessons take place in Cents, Dommeldange, Gasperich, Bonnevoie, etc.
- Swimming lessons with Little Swim for children (from 4 years old), maximum 12 participants. Beginners and advanced. Classes held in two places: swimming pool in Howald and swimming pool of the Lycée technique in Limpertsberg.
Do you want to know everything about sports in Luxembourg? Infrastructures, sports news, sports training, … visit www.sport.public.lu.
Reduced rates for children up to 12 years old
Apply for the Chèque-Service Accueil and get reduced rates in sport clubs. Get more information from your commune of residence.