Passionate about a specific sport, do you want to practice it in Luxembourg? Do you want to discover a new sport?
We offer you here a list of sports activities to practice in the Grand Duchy.
Indoor sports, sports halls and sports coaches
Luxembourg residents regularly practice sport, which is part of a lifestyle. In addition to private sports coaches who practice their activity as an individual, there are many sports halls and clubs to practice indoor activities. Ask to your neighbours or your colleagues, you will certainly hear about good addresses according to your objectives and your budget. See the cost of living in Luxembourg.
One of the most famous sports clubs is the CK Sports Centre in Kockelscheuer. The CK Group (Charles Kieffer) offers a sports complex dedicated to racket sports (tennis, squash, badminton). Originally intended for the well-being of the Group’s employees, it is open to everyone.
The Swedish tennis school ww.estess.org offers the possibility of taking tennis lessons.
There are also 10 bowling lanes where you can spend an evening with friends or family with the possibility of a meal. The CK bowling alley also offers birthday parties.
Are you a climbing fan? Several climbing walls are proposed in Luxembourg, among others at La Coque, Echternach youth hostel, Dudelange Hartmann sports center or the Red Rock Climbing Center Soleuvre with its wall of 450 m² and its room complies Olympic criteria! Also try “Funny Mountain” in Arlon, Belgium. From 5 to 85 years old, test the 27 fun and safe courses up to 10 metres high.
Even when the weather is rather cold, you will probably see many people practicing an outdoor sport: running, hiking, biking, mountain biking. It must be said that landscapes in Luxembourg invite to practising an outdoor sporting activity.
Hiking or nordic walking
For those who enjoy hiking, Nordic walking or simply walking around, there are several tours in the beautiful national parks: Müllerthal, Natural Park of Haute-Sûre and Our Natural Park. You can also download the leaflets directly from the website of the Direction General of Tourism.
More closely of Luxembourg City, the forests of Bambesch, Kockelscheuer or Hamm also offer beautiful family walks or more active hikes.
Running, marathons and trails
For running fans and great marathon runners, do not miss the major running events in Luxembourg: ING Night Marathon in May, DKV Urban Trail a few weeks before, JP Morgan City Jogging in July and Route du Vin in September. For the most athletic ones, try the Mullerthal Ultra trail in September.
Running for the Good Cause? Support cancer patients and other charity causes.
If you are a cycling lover or a cycling enthusiast, check out the many bike tours in this country. Do not forget that great cycling champions like the famous Charly Gaul or the Schleck brothers are born in Luxembourg.
Outdoor fitness parks
The City of Luxembourg provides free open air fitness spaces for all athletes! The equipment is accessible to all, from 12 years old.
You will find one in Kockelscheuer next to the P+R Kockelscheuer and the children’s playground, and another one in the Petrusse Valley at 2 Rue Saint Quirin next to the mini-golf course.
There are several golf courses in Luxembourg, which are busy on sunny days: Kikuoka Golf Club in Canach – 18 holes, Domaine de Belenhaff in Junglinster – 18 holes, Golf de Clervaux – 18 holes, Golf Club Grand Ducal de Luxembourg in Senningerberg – 18 holes, Golf Club de Chrisnach – 18 holes and Lux Golf Center in Kockelscheuer (no course).
If you want to practice individually, book your course in advance and watch the competition dates.
Very nice swimming pools exist in Luxembourg. Ask to your municipality or in the surrounding area if you do not have one nearby. See also our references below.
Are you looking for an outdoor swimming pool for those hot summer days? Here are some addresses:
- Municipal swimmingpools in Luxembourg
- Les Thermes in Strassen
- PIDAL is the nautical and recreational area of the communes of Walferdange, Steinsel and Lorentzweiler. Located in Walferdange, it offers several swimming pools, a spa with saunas and a relaxing seawater pool, fitness courses and a restaurant. Very pleasant, PIDAL also offers a large lawn, which is very enjoyable in summer.
- Piscine Kordall in Rodange, also called PIKO, has an Olympic pool, which is quite rare in Luxembourg. Toddlers can splash around in a large paddling pool.
PIKO is also an aquatic and relaxation centre with many activities such as aquagym, aquafitness and aquabikes outside the school holidays. An 80 m long and 8 m high slide and multiple facilities are grouped together within the complex.
For relaxation: 2 Finnish saunas, a Turkish bath and jacuzzis, an outdoor lawn to relax in the sun.
The particularity of the swimming pool of Rodange is to be totally discoverable. As soon as the good weather sets in, it’s the perfect place for a day or an afternoon with the family!
- The swimming centre An der Schwemm in the communes of Bettembourg and Leudelange has a swimming pool and a wellness centre. 3 pools are available for swimmers: a small pool with a slide for children, a learning pool with a waterfall and a large pool reserved for swimming lengths and lessons. Black Hole slide of 40 metres.
4 different saunas including 2 Finnish saunas with light therapy, a hammam, an immersion pool and a Kneipp pool (cold water pool) and a solarium area for the wellness area.
- The Syrdall Schwemm Aquatic Centre in Niederanven offers you a relaxation and leisure area for the whole family: 4 pools including a year-round outdoor pool with whirlpools, a 65-metre slide. Pool for babies and small children.
The beauty and spa area offers massages, an indoor Finnish sauna and an outdoor sauna, a Turkish bath or hammam, a bio sauna. An immersion pool, special showers, an outdoor terrace and an indoor rest room complete the facilities. The sauna area is exclusively reserved for ladies on Wednesdays.
In summer, you can relax with your family and picnic on the huge outdoor lawn!
- The Krounebierg Sports Centre in Mersch has a swimming pool with pools and water games for the whole family, a wellness centre, a fitness area and outdoor access. Swimming pool with movable floor and jumping tower, relaxation pool. A paddling pool for the little ones with water activities and a giant slide complete the facilities. A water playground is available outside as well as a large lawn for relaxation and sunbathing, and a volleyball court. Showers and changing rooms are available outside.
For the wellness part, you will find Whirlpool hot pools, 4 saunas, 3 of which are outdoor with a superb terrace with a view of the valley, an infrared cabin, a hammam, adventure showers, a cold water immersion pool, a steam bath, a solarium,…
- Aquasud Oberkorn in Differdange is a vast aquatic complex with 6 pools, one of which is 25 m long, 2 outdoor pools, a play pool and a paddling pool. There are also special programmes for the little ones with water education and a water garden.
The complex also offers a fitness area with 3 gyms, 5 saunas, 2 of which are outdoor (from 18 years old).
In the wellness area, visitors can find five saunas, two of which are outdoor, a steam bath, a cold bath and a jacuzzi. Accessible from the age of 18.
- The Escher Schwemm Centre in Esch-sur-Alzette welcomes you to its water complex, which includes a swimming pool with swimming lessons and a wellness centre.
The aquatic complex is composed of 4 pools including an outdoor pool with water jets and massage benches, a paddling pool for children with water games and a large 40 m slide.
The wellness area offers a Finnish sauna and a bio-sauna, 2 infrared cabins at 40 degrees, a hammam or Turkish bath, a cold and hot water pool, relaxation areas and a solarium.
Ask on site for swimming lessons and group fitness classes.
Catering is available on site in each nautical centre and birthday parties for children can be organised.
Public beaches in natural environment
For those who prefer swimming in nature, Luxembourg offers the opportunity to swim in lakes or ponds during the beautiful season, which lasts from May 1st until September 30th.
3 sites are regularly monitored in terms of water quality and offer public beaches: Lake Haute-Sûre in Boulaide, Esch-sur-Sûre and Lake Haute-Sûre, LakeWeiswampach in the municipality of Weiswampach,and pond Remerschen in the town of Remerschen in the south-east of the country.
Swimming lessons are in great demand in Luxembourg and waiting lists are sometimes long, up to 1 year or more … We give you here 2 adresses but you can ask to your municipal swimming pool too.
- Swimming Luxembourg asbl propose swimming lessons from 3 years old : introduction, improvement, competition, synchronised swimming, water polo, aqua gym, etc. Lessons take place in Cents, Dommeldange, Gasperich, Bonnevoie, etc.
- Swimming lessons with Little Swim for children (from 4 years old), maximum 12 participants. Beginners and advanced. Classes held in two places: swimming pool in Howald and swimming pool of the Lycée technique in Limpertsberg.
Do you want to know everything about sports in Luxembourg? Infrastructures, sports news, sports training, … visit www.sport.public.lu.
Reduced rates for children up to 12 years old
Apply for the Chèque-Service Accueil and get reduced rates in sport clubs. Get more information from your commune of residence.
The Liichtmëssdag is one of the nice traditions you will discover in Luxembourg on February 2nd of each year. You will be able to meet at nightfall, in the streets of your district or your town, processions of children with lanterns made by...
Le 6 janvier au Luxembourg, on fête le Dräikinneksdag (jour des Trois Rois). Fête traditionnelle très attendue par les gourmands, on déguste la traditionnelle galette des rois ou Dräikinnekskuch. Les origines de la fête de l'Epiphanie ou...
Eat it, a food-trucks festival in Luxembourg Street food lovers, this article is for you! The next edition of the Eat it street food festival is announced in Luxembourg! Street food is more and more successful in large cities, especially...