With the putting into service of the 1st section of its line, the streetcar revolutionises public transport in Luxembourg capital.
Since December 10th, 2017, the streetcar has served the Avenue JF Kennedy from Luxexpo up to Pont Rouge Grande Duchesse Charlotte. A second section put into service at the end of July 2018, desert stops Theater, Faience and Stäreplatz / Etoile.
Having disappeared for more than 50 years in Luxembourg, the streetcar has made its reappearance in the capital at the end of 2017 and brings numerous changes in the servicing of public transportation of the City of Luxembourg.
First section : Luxexpo – Grande Duchesse Charlotte Bridge
At first, the T1 line of the streetcar will serve 8 stops within the district of Kirchberg:
- Alphonse Weicker in front of Auchan shopping mall and close to Kinepolis cinema,
- Bibliothèque nationale,
- Coque, for servicing of the d’Coque sports and cultural centre,
- Parlement européen
- Pont Rouge/Pfaffenthal at the other end of Kirchberg for servicing of the district of Pfaffenthal thanks to the connection with the new funicular put into service on the same day.
Second section: Grand Duchess Charlotte Bridge – Place de l’Etoile
From July 27, 2018, the tram will serve the section of the Red Bridge – Place de l’Etoile with the following stops:
- Theater: Glacis Square in Limpertsberg and Grand Theater
- Faiencerie. These 2 stops serving the Schueberfouer, the tram will circulate later (until 1:30 AM) to allow access to visitors
- Stäreplatz / Place de l’Etoile.
Traffic schedules and transport redeployment
Because of the streetcar, buses do not circulate anymore on Avenue JF Kennedy, but from now on on Boulevard Adenauer.
Trains circulating from Luxembourg Central Station were also redeployed to serve the funicular’s Pfaffenthal stop.