The alternative to the Luxembourg public school system
Are you arriving in Luxembourg and want your child to continue his/her schooling in his/her original school system? Would you rather find a solution other than the public school system offered in Luxembourg?
We listed the main international schools where you can enroll your child to school in Luxembourg. It is then possible for your child to follow his/her national school cursus, which can be interesting if you plan to go back in your country after your expatriation.
If the Luxembourg school system offers the possibility for the children to learn 3 official languages (Luxembourgish, German, French), it is rather difficult to change school system in the course of schooling, including during the transition from primary fundamental school to high school.
So it is important to think about it before any decision.
Here we give you the lists of schools in Luxembourg offering an internationally recognised school curriculum and secondary school-leaving certificate.
French-speaking schools, French high school
Do you wish to enroll your children in a French primary school or a French high school? You have many choices. These schools have usually a good rate, and even luxembourgish natives are following these cursus.
Les Poussins is a French-speaking nursery and kindergarten located in Luxembourg Bonnevoie. The Mini-College kindergarten is located in the Kirchberg district. The school welcomes children from 18 months to 6 years old from 7:45 am to 6:15 pm from Monday to Friday and is managed by a team of pre-school teachers and a nurse.
The School Charlemagne is a French nursery and primary school located in the town of Walferdange with a teaching and methodologies of classic type, in a family spirit. The establishment is not approved by the French National Education.
Formerly Over The Rainbow, OTR International School is a private international school in Luxembourg-Belair offering French and English bilingual education.
Only 2 schools offer a French education certified by the Ministry of National Education in France and the AEFE: Lycée Vauban and Sainte Sophie. For now, the French baccalaureate is only prepared by Lycée Vauban, as Sainte Sophie opens progressively its high school classes.
English Schools and High Schools in Luxembourg
Regarding the multiculturality in Luxembourg, you can find easily English schools, depending on your goals.
- The OTR International School (see above french schools) promotes language learning, science and math knowledge, acquisition of a general culture and digital skills.
- ISL : IGCSE International General Certificate of Secondary Education
- European School : european baccalaureate english section
- St George’s International School : GCSE General Certificate of Secondary Education and A-level. The most “british school”in Luxembourg.
- International School Michel Lucius : International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), Advanced Subsidiary level (AS-levels), Advanced level (A-levels).
International and European Schools and High Schools
International and european high schools prepare students in Luxembourg for higher education abroad through international degrees, such as the International Baccalaureate or European Baccalaureate.
Students have the choice between continuing their higher education in Luxembourg or at international /european universities.
International Schools in Luxembourg
5 high schools prepare for international Baccalaureate : International School of Luxembourg (ISL), Saint George’s International School and Lycée Athénée Luxembourg in english, and Lycée Technique du Centre in french.
Waldorfschul Lëtzebuerg School is an international private Luxembourg school offering nursery, primary and secondary classes in Luxembourgish, German and French. English is taught as a foreign language. Steiner-Waldorf’s pedagogy is based on the freedom of man and the recognition of the individual. It offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum.
European Schools in Luxembourg
In addition to European School I and II, from 2018-2019 school year, 4 Luxembourgish public schools offer a European curriculum (primary and secondary education) with the European Baccalaureate at the end. :
- International School in Junglinster, with a German section and an English section in kindergarten (4-6 years), primary (6-11 years) and secondary (first 3 years only S1 to 3, 11-14 years old).
- European School Edward Steichen in Clervaux, French-speaking, German-speaking and english-speaking sections in secondary education and English-language primary education from the start of the 2020 school year.
- International school in Differdange and Esch-sur-Alzette, English, French and German-speaking sections in primary and secondary education
- International School in Mondorf-les-Bains,English-speaking, French- and German- sections at the level of secondary (3 first years S1-S2, English-speaking and French- education at primary level.
Jnglinster (Lenster Lycée) and Clervaux schools also offers a Luxembourg secondary curriculum.
Lycée Lenster European and Luxembourgish school and high school
International schoolLuxembourgish school
Tips to enrol your child in an international school
Places in private or international schools are limited. The study of the school file or an entrance exam may be required so that your child can change schools during school attendance.
Remember to check several months before the start of the school year in September for the dates of submission of registration forms!
Open houses are usually offered from March onwards to visit schools.
Consult the Mengshoul.lu school platform to get the complete school map in Luxembourg: a synthetic overview of the different school systems and the particularities of each school, college or lycée.
16 June 2020
28 May 2020