The alternative to the Luxembourg public school system
Are you arriving in Luxembourg and wish that your child was schooled or continued his/her schooling in his/her original school system? Would you rather find a solution other than the public school system offered in Luxembourg?
We listed the international schools where you can send your child to school in Luxembourg. It is then possible for your child to follow his national school cursus, which can be interesting if you plan to go back in your country after your expatriation.
If the Luxembourg school system offers the possibility for the children to learn 3 official languages (Luxembourgish, German, French), we draw your attention to the fact that it is rather difficult to change school system in the course of schooling, including during the transition from primary fundamental school to high school.
So it is important to think about it before any decision.
French-speaking schools, French high school
Do you wish to enrol your children in a French primary school or a French high school? Several choices present themselves to you. These schools have usually a good rate, and even luxembourgish natives are following these cursus.
Only 2 schools offer a French education certified by the Ministry of National Education in France and the AEFE: Lycée Vauban and Sainte Sophie. The French baccalaureate is only prepared by Lycée Vauban, as Sainte Sophie opens progressively its high school classes.
English Schools and High Schools in Luxembourg
Regarding the multiculturality in Luxembourg, you can find easily English schools, depending on your goals.
- ISL : IGCSE International General Certificate of Secondary Education
- European School : european baccalaureate english section
- St George’s International School : GCSE General Certificate of Secondary Education and A-level. The most “british school”in Luxembourg.
- International School Michel Lucius : International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), Advanced Subsidiary level (AS-levels), Advanced level (A-levels).
International and European Schools and High Schools
International and european high schools prepare students in Luxembourg for higher education abroad through international degrees, such as the International Baccalaureate or European Baccalaureate.
Students have the choice between continuing their higher education in Luxembourg or at international /european universities.
International Schools in Luxembourg
4 high schools prepare for international Baccalaureate : International School of Luxembourg (ISL), Saint George’s INternational School and Lycée Athénée Luxembourg in english, and Lycée Technique du Centre in french.
European Schools in Luxembourg
In addition to European School I and II, from 2018-2019 school year, 4 Luxembourgish public schools offer a European curriculum (primary and secondary education) with the European Baccalaureate at the end. :
- Lenster Lycée in Junglinster, with a German section and an English section at the primary and secondary levels
- European School Edward Steichen in Clervaux, French-speaking and German-speaking section in secondary education as a first step
- International school in Differdange and Esch-sur-Alzette, French and German-speaking sections in addition to the English section already proposed
- International School in Mondorf-les-Bains,English-speaking, French- and German- sections at the level of secondary, English-speaking and French- education at primary level.
Scuola Materna Italiana
Places in the private or international schools are limited in luxembourg.
The study of the school record or an entrance examination can be asked so that your child can change establishment during his/her school year.
Think of getting informed several months before the start of the school year of September.