Declaring a birth

Registering the birth of your baby in Luxembourg

All births on Luxembourg soil must be registered with the commune where the child was born. Here you'll find all the administrative formalities you need to complete to register your newborn child in Luxembourg.

Who declares the birth of a child?

In general, the birth is declared by the father or mother of the newborn.

Failing that, any person who attended the birth, such as the doctor or midwife, can take the necessary steps.

Declaration of a newborn child to Luxembourg civil status

Obligation to declare a birth

All births must be registered with the commune where they took place. This formality is the legal responsibility of the parents.

Although the registry office is informed daily of births in Luxembourg hospitals and clinics, this does not constitute a declaration of birth.

Please note that non-Luxembourg parents must register the baby with the commune of birth, and then with their respective consulate or embassy. If the parents are nationals of a country that does not have a consulate or embassy in Luxembourg, they should contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Non-residents must register the child in the commune of birth. In addition, they must take the necessary steps with their own commune to have the child recognized in their country of residence.

Registrar's Office for Luxembourg City: Bierger-Center 44, place Guillaume II / 2, rue Notre-Dame - 1st floor L-2090 Luxembourg.

Do you know when Mother's Day and Father's Day are celebrated in Luxembourg ?

Deadlines for registering a birth in Luxembourg

The birth of a baby must be reported within 10 days of the date of delivery. However, if the last day falls on a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, the deadline is extended to the next working day if the last day falls on a weekend or public holiday .

If no declaration is made within the legal time limit, the child is not legally recognized. In this case, the birth certificate will be registered by court order. This can involve considerable legal costs for the parents.

A father who carries out civil status formalities is entitled to 10 days of extraordinary leave for the birth of his child.

Are you pregnant? More information on maternity leave 

Documents required to register a birth

To declare the birth of a child, several documents must be presented, depending on the situation:

  • The birth certificate issued by the midwife or doctor to the parents of the newborn,
  • Form for choosing the child's surname (for Luxembourg, French, Belgian and Portuguese nationals). This form must be signed by both parents.
  • Family record book or marriage certificate, if the child was born to a married couple
  • ID of declarant if other than parent, father and mother
  • If one of the parents is of Luxembourg nationality or was born in Luxembourg: a joint declaration, signed by both parents, specifying the child's name.

Please note! The marriage certificate must be translated into French, German or English.

See Parental leave in Luxembourg

Other steps to take when giving birth in Luxembourg

Declaration of birth to various organizations

Once the birth has been declared, the registrar will issue eight birth certificates. These copies should be sent to the following organizations:

If you haven't already done so, don't forget to contact a childcare service to arrange your child 's next daycare as soon as possible. Don't forget to apply in advance, especially if the service you're looking for is in high demand.

Baby-years with pension insurance

The baby-years principle

Any parent affiliated to the Luxembourg social security system AND having devoted themselves to the upbringing of their child, including adopted children under the age of 4, benefits from 2 additional years in their career taken into account for their pension insurance . This period, known as Baby years, is 48 months if, at the time of the birth, the parent is already caring for 2 children or has a child with a disability of over 50%.

Baby years can benefit only one parent, or be divided between the two. The amount of income taken into account corresponds to the average monthly income contributed during the 12 months of insurance prior to childbirth. A minimum indexed to the cost of living will be used for this calculation.

How to benefit from baby-years

To qualify, the applicant must provide proof of a minimum of 12 months'compulsory insurance in Luxembourg or a European Union country, during the 36 months preceding the birth or adoption of the child.

The application must be submitted to the National Pension Insurance Fund at any time. However, it will only be validated when the pension is applied for.

Find out more about administrative procedures in Luxembourg

Silver partner

Enovos energy supplier Luxembourg

Enovos electricity and gas supplier


Our latest articles Administrative formalities

Registering your car in Luxembourg

Freshly arrived in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, you've just moved in and enrolled your children in their new school. What's next?...

Getting your driver's license recognized in Luxembourg

It's official! You are now a resident of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. You've taken care of all the formalities for...

Technical inspection Luxembourg

Are you coming to Luxembourg with your own car, or planning to buy one on the spot? You need to know...

They trust us

AXA assurances Luxembourg
Raiffeisen Luxembourg
Child king