Visas, residence permits, family reunification


Would you like to emigrate to Luxembourg? Is your family already settled there and you'd like to join them? Before arriving in Luxembourg, you need to make sure you have the necessary visa and/or residence permit to travel.

Here you'll find all the information you need to stay in Luxembourg, depending on your country of origin and the length of your stay.

Who can stay in Luxembourg?

What are the special cases?

First and foremost, except in special cases, the right to reside in Luxembourg is subject to the ability to support oneself and one's family.

Applicants for the right of residence must not represent a financial burden for the social assistance system. 

Luxembourg is also a member of the European Union and the Schengen Area. Whether or not you need a visa or other document authorizing your stay in Luxembourg depends on a number of factors:

  • the country of origin of the person applying to immigrate to Luxembourg: is he or she a citizen of the European Union or of a third country?
  • length of stay: is the planned stay more or less than 90 days?

In addition, certain specific cases, such as cross-border workers, asylum seekers or applicants for international protection, have specific authorizations to stay in Luxembourg. We deal with these cases further down this page.

See also our section on family reunification in Luxembourg. You already live in Luxembourg and would like to bring your family here? Would you like to join an expatriate relative in Luxembourg? This section also covers family reunification in Luxembourg.

Identity papers required to enter and stay in Luxembourg

Regardless of their status or length of stay, anyone wishing to visit Luxembourg must hold an official identity document that is valid at the time of travel.  

European citizens

To stay in Luxembourg, a simple identity card is all that's needed for EU citizens. Luxembourg will even accept an expired card 10 years after the end of its validity.
However, we strongly advise you to check that your identity document is valid for travel to and from Europe. The other country may refuse you entry to the country, or prevent you from boarding the return plane.

Luxembourg requires an identity card for Luxembourg minors over the age of 15. However, make sure you have official identity papers from your country of origin, or a livret de famille (family record book) for travel purposes.

Non-EU nationals

On the other hand, third-country nationals wishing to stay in Luxembourg must present a valid passport and, if necessary, an additional visa, including for minors.

Family members wishing to join the resident in Luxembourg must also prove their status and submit additional documents. See the paragraph on family reunification below.

Residence in Luxembourg for EU nationals

The principle of free movement within the Schengen area

Luxembourg is a member of the European Union and the Schengen area.

As such, all nationals of the European Union (EU) or an assimilated country enjoy freedom of movement within the EU. This entitles them to live and work in Luxembourg, and more widely in any EU country.

The Schengen area covers European Union countries that have signed the Schengen agreements. This includes the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

All nationals of countries that have joined the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) are also concerned.

Swiss nationals are treated in the same way as EU citizens.

Family members of EU citizens who are themselves EU citizens are also authorized to stay in Luxembourg. See "Family reunification" below.

Staying in Luxembourg for less than 3 months

EU nationals do not need to take any steps to stay in Luxembourg for less than 3 months. They must, however, comply with the provisions of the various communal by-laws to register with your commune's population registers.

European nationals must also be in possession of a valid national identity card or passport for the duration of their stay.

Stays of more than 3 months in Luxembourg

Authorized stays in Luxembourg

Citizens of the European Union and assimilated persons can stay in Luxembourg for more than 3 months. To do so, they must prove that they are employed or self-employed in Luxembourg.

Family members are authorized to join the main "migrant", if the latter is a citizen of the European Union. See below the paragraph on family reunification.

In the absence of employment, EU citizens staying in Luxembourg for more than 3 months must prove that they have sufficient financial means to support themselves and their families. They must also be able to prove that they are a family member of an EU citizen, while being an EU citizen themselves.

Students enrolled in a Luxembourg school can also stay in Luxembourg as EU citizens.

Administrative formalities as an EU citizen

If they wish to stay in Luxembourg for more than 3 months, all European Union citizens and assimilated persons must file a declaration of arrival with the communal administration of their place of residence within 8 days of settling in. The local authority will issue a "registration certificate" for the whole family. This certificate must be kept for the duration of the stay.

EU nationals wishing to reside in Luxembourg for more than 3 months must be in possession of a valid national identity card or passport.

The list of documents to be provided depends on the status of the EU citizen. This list can be consulted at or on the website of the French Ministry of Foreign & European Affairs.

Residence in Luxembourg for third-country nationals

Nationals of non-EU countries wishing to visit Luxembourg must have a valid travel document (passport) and a visa before travelling to Luxembourg. See here for the list of countries requiring a visa.

These regulations are compulsory for a simple transit or for a regular stay in Luxembourg, whatever the duration.

Passport validity for third-country nationals in Luxembourg

Non-EU nationals need a passport to travel to Luxembourg:  

  • valid, issued within the last 10 years
  • the period of validity must exceed the period of stay in Luxembourg by at least 3 months
  • contain at least 2 blank sheets.

Visa and residence permit according to national status

Third-country nationals wishing to travel to or stay in Luxembourg require a visa, issued prior to travel to Luxembourg.

Visas can be obtained from the Luxembourg consulate in the applicant's country, or from a diplomatic mission representing Luxembourg. Obtaining a visa for Luxembourg guarantees freedom of movement not only within Luxembourg, but also in all Schengen countries.

The residence permit granted to stay in Luxembourg depends on the status of the non-EU national. Applicants for residence in Luxembourg may be employees, self-employed, students, researchers, professional sportsmen and women, au pairs, etc.). Family reunification is also subject to special treatment.

The documents required to obtain a residence permit or visa depend on the applicant's activity in Luxembourg. The list is available at or on the website of the Ministry of Foreign & European Affairs.

Medical examination to obtain a residence permit in Luxembourg

To validate their stay in Luxembourg, non-EU nationals must undergo a compulsory medical examination and tuberculosis screening. This procedure applies to all migrants who are not citizens of the European Union or an assimilated country.

The Immigration Medical Service organizes medical examinations for foreign nationals (from outside the EU) applying for a residence permit in Luxembourg for more than 3 months. This examination can be carried out by any general practitioner, specialist in internal medicine or specialist in pediatrics.

Tuberculosis screening, on the other hand, must be carried out exclusively by the Ligue médico-sociale (LMS).

The medical costs of these examinations are borne by the applicant.

After 5 years' residence in Luxembourg

After 5 years' regular uninterrupted residence in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, residents (regardless of their origin, EU or non-EU) can apply for permanent residence in Luxembourg. After 5 years' residence, Luxembourg residents can also apply for Luxembourg nationality.

After 5 years, Luxembourg residents can also acquire the right to vote in certain elections.

Right of residence in Luxembourg: specific case

Cross-border commuters in Luxembourg

A frontier worker from a non-EU country or an assimilated country must first have a work permit to work in Luxembourg without residing there. This can be discussed with the prospective employer during the recruitment process.

However, if the cross-border commuter is the spouse, official partner or child of an EU citizen or equivalent already working in Luxembourg, he or she may apply for a waiver of the work permit requirement. The Immigration Department of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs is responsible for this.

Refugees and applicants for international protection in Luxembourg

Luxembourg recognizes the right of asylum for applicants for international protection. If accepted, this status confers a 5-year residence permit for international protection.


Stateless status can also be granted to applicants who meet the necessary conditions.

More information on these specific cases of immigration to Luxembourg on

Family reunification in Luxembourg

In Luxembourg, family reunification takes different forms depending on the status of the "main migrant", to whom the various family members will be attached.
Different situations arise if the person authorized to reside on Luxembourg territory is a citizen of a European country or a national of a third country.

Family life is a right enshrined in Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights. Like many other European countries, Luxembourg applies European policy.

However, proof of family membership or financial support justifying a closer relationship must be provided by the applicant, in the form of an official document from the country of origin.

European Union citizens and family reunification

If the main "migrant" is a citizen of the European Union, his or her family members are authorized to join him or her, if they are : 

  • spouse or registered partner
  • common-law partner (duly attested long-term relationship, cohabitation of at least 1 year prior to application and/or joint children for whom they have parental authority)
  • children of the EU citizen or his/her spouse/partner under 21 years of age or dependent children
  • the direct ascendants of the EU citizen or his/her dependent spouse/partner
  • any other member of the family who, in the country of origin, was dependent on or part of the household, and/or whose care the citizen must take personally because of his or her state of health.

Third-country nationals and family reunification

If the main "migrant" is a citizen of a non-EU country, the family members authorized to join him or her are :

  • Spouse or registered partner over 18 years of age
  • Children of the principal "migrant" or his/her spouse/partner under 18 years of age or dependent children

Exceptionally, the Minister may also authorize:

  • Ascendants (mother and father) of the sponsor or his/her spouse or partner, if they are dependent on the sponsor and deprived of the necessary family support in their country of origin.
  • The unmarried adult children of the group member or his/her spouse or partner, when they are objectively unable to provide for their own needs due to their state of health.

Please note that this exceptional authorization is not a right, as is the case for the first two categories.

Waiting times for family reunification in Luxembourg

The waiting period before you can obtain family reunification with your family in Luxembourg depends on the personal status of the principal migrant.

The waiting period will be 1 year for a "migrant" holding a "salaried" residence permit.

For a "highly qualified employee" holding a "European Blue Card" residence permit, family reunification is directly authorized.

See other administrative procedures in Luxembourg

Please note that for all administrative procedures in Luxembourg, official documents must be presented in one of the languages used in Luxembourg (Lëtzebuergesch, French, German or English). In the absence of such a document, the applicant must call on an official translator to translate his or her documents into an official language.

Silver partner

Enovos energy supplier Luxembourg

Enovos electricity and gas supplier


Our latest articles Administrative formalities

Registering your car in Luxembourg

Freshly arrived in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, you've just moved in and enrolled your children in their new school. What's next?...

Getting your driver's license recognized in Luxembourg

It's official! You are now a resident of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. You've taken care of all the formalities for...

Technical inspection Luxembourg

Are you coming to Luxembourg with your own car, or planning to buy one on the spot? You need to know...

They trust us

AXA assurances Luxembourg
Raiffeisen Luxembourg
Child king