Moving and administrative installation

Moving to Luxembourg

Are you planning to expatriate to the Grand Duchy or simply move to a new home in Luxembourg? In addition to packing, there's a lot to think about if you want to manage your move as smoothly as possible. Here you'll find some useful tips to help you prepare for your move and move into your new home with complete peace of mind!

Depending on the situation, this advice may also apply if you leave Luxembourg.

Preparing your move, administrative formalities

Cancelling or transferring contracts for your old home

Before you move, remember to cancel or transfer your contracts and any other supply subscriptions linked to your old place of residence. To do so, contact the service provider's dedicated department or, failing that, its customer service department. You'll then have all the information you need to cancel or transfer your contracts.

Informing your company of your move

When moving house, it's imperative toinform your employer. You must inform your company of your new address as soon as possible. In Luxembourg, the Administration des contributions directes (ACD) will update your tax form, whether you are an employee or a pensioner.

Requesting extraordinary leave to relocate

An employee who moves house is entitled to request exceptional leave for personal reasons. In Luxembourg, this is two days. In this case, the employee is paid despite his absence.

To make this request, you will need to provide your employer with proof of your move. This may be a lease, a certificate of change of address, etc. Leave can only be taken at the time of the move. Leave not taken is forfeited. In addition, no financial compensation can be paid.

Please note that moving leave is now limited to once every three years. The only exception to this rule is moves for professional reasons.

Information for your children's schools

Schools must be informed of your move. If you have young children, they may be affected by the move. It's a good idea to inform the teaching staff. They will then be able to manage the situation with your child as best they can. 

Schooling in the same school

Even if you move to the same area and your child remains enrolled in the same school after the move, you must inform the school of your new address.

If you are a student, you must also inform your school or university if you are moving.

Moving to a new school

In Luxembourg, a child's enrolment in a public school is based on the parents' place of residence. This is known as the "ressort scolaire". If your child moves to a new school, it's important to register as soon as possible.

However, if the parents move during the school year, the child is not obliged to change schools, despite the school jurisdiction. In fact, the child can finish the school year at the same school. However, parents must submit a written request to the school.

Schooling a newly arrived foreign child

Children who have recently arrived in Luxembourg are looked after by the public services. They can benefit from additional support courses to help them learn the languages of instruction and integrate more quickly. Find out more from the services concerned, so that you and your child are welcomed in the best possible conditions.

Find out more about the Luxembourg school system.

Mail follow-up during your move

When you move, don't forget to follow up your mail so that it doesn't end up in the mailbox of the new occupant of your old home.

To have your mail forwarded internally from Luxembourg, you need to contact the Luxembourg P&T Administration. There are three ways to do this:

  • Or directly online,
  • Or by visiting a post office,
  • Or by contacting the letter carrier directly, by filling in a form.

Please note! It is important to take the necessary steps no later than three working days before the desired date for mail forwarding. Mail can be forwarded from a minimum of seven days to a maximum of one year. This service does not apply to parcels.

When you subscribe to the mail forwarding service, the post office offers postcards to inform your correspondents of your change of address. No postage is required.

Newspaper forwarding is free of charge. To do this, please contact the publisher directly to send them the new address.

See parcel delivery services in Luxembourg.

If you are moving from abroad to Luxembourg, you need to apply directly to the post office in your country of departure. Make sure you do this well in advance, so that the service is available as soon as you leave.

Preparing your move to or from Luxembourg

Using a removal service

There are many removal companies in Luxembourg. They include Déménagements Nadin, Team relocations, Vaglio déménagement, Tranelux and Wagner frères.

These companies generally take care of packing materials, packing, dismantling and reassembly, as well as administrative formalities. Most companies provide removal services, whether in Luxembourg or abroad.

Moving van rental

Instead of hiring movers, you can rent a van to take care of the move yourself. There are many vehicle rental agencies in Luxembourg. They include Ada, Intralux, Vicente, Autorent and Stroll trucks.

Request to occupy a public thoroughfare

To facilitate your move to Luxembourg, you'll need to apply to occupy the public highway. This will enable you to park your removal van in front of your building or house, without obstructing the public highway.

Moving to Luxembourg City

You can apply for permission to occupy the public highway in the capital directly online. You must apply to the Luxembourg City Traffic Department for authorization at least five working days before the date of your move. No-parking signs will be put up at least 24 hours before the authorization is issued.

You must apply in advance to reserve the public highway. There is a charge for this. The fee depends on the type of removal vehicle and the area.

If the applicant fails to comply with the conditions of the authorization, the City of Luxembourg is entitled to withdraw the authorization. This withdrawal takes immediate effect. No reimbursement or compensation can be granted.

Moving to other towns or villages in Luxembourg

Residents of other towns in the country wishing to relocate should contact their local transport department directly.

Our advice for your moving boxes 

When preparing your moving boxes, remember to group the various items in the cartons by destination room. Clearly indicate on each box (top and side) which room it's destined for. This will make it easier for the movers, and especially for you, to unpack the boxes. 

Also clearly mark boxes with fragile items. Be careful not to overload boxes (especially with books). 

Administrative formalities on moving day

On the day of your move, remember to : 

Formalities to complete after moving to Luxembourg

Declaration of arrival in your commune of residence

Anyone moving to Luxembourg must register their arrival with their local commune. If you are a European citizen, you have eight days from the date of your arrival to do so. Please note! This period is reduced to three days for non-EU nationals.

Waste collection and garbage can orders

Selective sorting is relatively well developed in Luxembourg. When you move in, find out about the different sorting garbage cans available from your local council. If you live in an individual dwelling, you can opt for different garbage cans depending on the type of waste. You can also ask the commune's hygiene department for specific bags for waste to be recycled.

Administrative procedures for driving a private car in Luxembourg

When you move to Luxembourg, you must register your new address on Part I of your vehicle registration certificate. You have one month in which to do this.

This change of address is carried out by the SNCA. This procedure is free of charge if the owner's address is listed in the national directory of natural and legal persons. If this is not the case, you will need to provide proof that you are legally resident in Luxembourg in order to register your vehicle. See the administrative formalities for registering your vehicle in Luxembourg.

If you are arriving from another country, you may need to exchange your driving license for a Luxembourg one

Free parking in Luxembourg for residents

In order to park free of charge in your neighborhood, particularly in Luxembourg and the country's larger cities, you'll need to apply for a specific parking sticker from your local authority. This will authorize you to park free of charge in the area where you live. Otherwise, you'll have to pay a parking fee.

Keeping a dog or pet in Luxembourg

In Luxembourg, dogs must be registered by their owners with the local administration of their place of residence. To register your dog with the local administration, you'll need to present a veterinary certificate and an insurance contract from a company approved in Luxembourg.

Please note that owners of pets in Luxembourg, such as dogs, cats, ferrets, etc., must comply with the regulations governing pets.

Identity documents and new address

Luxembourg residents need to renew their identity card if they change address. Your address details need to be updated. Please contact your local administration on arrival. 

Are you moving to Luxembourg from abroad? Find all our advice on moving to Luxembourg here.

Silver partner

Enovos energy supplier Luxembourg

Enovos electricity and gas supplier


Our latest articles Administrative formalities

Registering your car in Luxembourg

Freshly arrived in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, you've just moved in and enrolled your children in their new school. What's next?...

Getting your driver's license recognized in Luxembourg

It's official! You are now a resident of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. You've taken care of all the formalities for...

Technical inspection Luxembourg

Are you coming to Luxembourg with your own car, or planning to buy one on the spot? You need to know...

They trust us

AXA assurances Luxembourg
Raiffeisen Luxembourg
Child king