New calendar year or new school year, it’s time to get back to work and back to good habits after the holidays or vacations. But what better way to keep up than to think about the next vacation? Are you an expatriate in Luxembourg? It’s time to plan your next return to see your families.
So to help you plan your vacations and plan your next weekend or vacation destination, we tell you all about public holidays and school vacations in Luxembourg.
Vacations 2023 and 2024
In Luxembourg, an employee is entitled to 26 days of statutory vacations, plus any public holidays that fall on the weekend. This will include:
- Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Sunday, June 23, 2024.
In 2023 and 2024, you will therefore be entitled to a minimum of 27 days of vacation, excluding collective agreements and special agreements.
When to take your vacation days in 2023 to optimize them?
If you take 4 days off from Tuesday, April 11 to Friday, April 14, 2023, you will be entitled to 9 days off from Saturday, April 8 to Sunday, April 16 inclusive
If you take 5 days off from May 2 to May 8, 2023 inclusive, you will be off from April 29 to May 9, inclusive, for a total of 11 days off.
By taking Friday, May 19, 2023 off, you will have 4 days off from May 18 to 21 inclusive.
If you take 4 days off from Tuesday, May 30 to Friday, June 2, 2023, you will have 9 days off from Saturday, May 27 to Sunday, June 4, 2023.
Think of posing on August 14, 2023 to take advantage of the August 15 bridge and 4 days of rest.
November 1 is a Wednesday, so consider putting down Monday, October 30 and 31 and November 2 and 3. You will thus have 9 days of vacations for 4 days posed.
Take 3 days off from Wednesday, December 27 to Friday, December 29, 2023. You will have 10 days off, from Saturday, December 23 to Monday, January 1, 2024 included.
This will make it easier to prepare for the year 2023 with 27 days off and 56 days of rest!
If you have children, please also check the school vacations below.
Working vacations and statutory holidays
Luxembourg is a country that knows how to keep its traditions alive. Public holidays are often part of the country’s Catholic religious tradition.
|New Year’s Eve||January 1st|
|Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (see Easter holiday traditions)||April 9 and 10, 2023
March 31 and April 1, 2024
|Labour Day||May 1st|
|Europe Day||9 May|
|Ascension Thursday (see pilgrimage to Our Lady of Fatima)||May 18, 2023
May 9, 2024
|Whit Monday (see pilgrimage and dancing procession of Echternach)||May 29, 2023
May 20, 2024
|Luxembourg National Day||23 June|
|Christmas Day (see Christmas Markets)||December 25|
|Saint Etienne||26 December|
Customary vacations in Luxembourg
With traditions still very present in Luxembourg, some local festivals or customary holidays are still celebrated.
However, employers are under no obligation to grant these days off to their employees. The employer remains free to decide whether or not employees are exempt from work on the days in question.
|Good Friday||April 7, 2023 / March 29, 2024|
|Fair Monday||2 September|
|Day of the Dead||2 November|
Luxembourg’s popular events continue. These traditional festivals are widely followed by the local resident population. In most cases, they will result in public holidays. These celebrations create a link between the different communities present in the Grand Duchy.
Vacations in the Luxembourg school calendar 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026
Are your children enrolled in Luxembourg schools? You want to prepare your next holidays or organize your children’s activities in extracurricular activities?
Here are the official vacation dates for children enrolled in the Luxembourg system for the school years 2023-2024, 2024-2025 and 2025-2026.
Does your child attend an international or private school in Luxembourg? Please refer to the calendar provided by your school.
Leave for the 2023 – 2024 school year
Pupils in the Luxembourg school system start school on Friday 15 September 2023 and finish on Sunday 15 September 2024
- The All Saints’ Day vacation begins on Saturday, October 28, 2023 and ends on Sunday, November 5, 2023. Basic school classes also do not have school on Wednesday, December 6, 2023, St. John’s Day Nicolas
- Christmas vacations begin on Saturday, December 23, 2023 and end on Sunday, January 7, 2024
- the Carnival vacation begins on Saturday, February 10 and ends on Sunday, February 18, 2024
- Easter vacation begins on Saturday, March 30 and ends on Sunday, April 14, 2024
- the Pentecost vacation begins on Saturday May 25 and ends on Sunday June 2, 2024
- Summer vacation begins on Tuesday, July 16 and ends on Sunday, September 15, 2024.
Leave for the 2024 – 2025 school year
The Luxembourg school begins on Monday, September 16, 2024 and ends on Tuesday, July 15, 2025.
- All Saints’ Day vacations begin on Saturday, October 26 and end on Sunday, November 3, 2024. The St. John’s Day Nicolas is also a day off for the children of the fundamental on Friday, December 6, 2024
- Christmas vacations begin on Saturday, December 21, 2024 and end on Sunday, January 5, 2025
- Carnival vacations begin on Saturday, February 15 and end on Sunday, February 23, 2025
- Easter vacations begin on Saturday, April 5 and end on Sunday, April 20, 2025
- the Pentecost vacation begins on Saturday May 24 and ends on Sunday June 1, 2025
- Summer vacation begins on Wednesday, July 16 and ends on Sunday, September 14, 2025.
Vacations for the 2025-2026 school year
- The All Saints’ vacation begins on Saturday, November 1 and ends on Sunday, November 9, 2025.
- No classes on December 6, St. Patrick’s Day. Nicolas, for children in the basic social system.
- Christmas vacations will begin on Saturday, December 20, 2025 and end on Sunday, January 4, 2026.
- The winter or Carnival vacations will begin on Saturday, February 14 and end on Sunday, February 22, 2026.
- Spring or Easter vacations start on Saturday, March 28, 2026. They will run until Sunday, April 12
- The Pentecost vacation will begin on Saturday, May 23, 2026 and end on Sunday, May 31.
- The children will be on summer vacation on Thursday, July 16, 2026. They will return to school on Monday, September 14, 2026.