The acquisition of the Luxembourg citizenship by naturalisation gives the foreigner the status of Luxembourgish with all the attached rights and duties.
Since the 1st of April 2017, a new law authorises the residents in Luxembourg for at least 5 years to acquire the Luxembourg nationality by naturalisation under certain conditions. Furthermore, the applicant is not obliged to give up his nationality of origin thanks to the principle of dual nationality.
Becoming a Luxembourg citizen
Who is concerned by the Luxembourg naturalisation?
Any person who meets the criteria of naturalisation, and who does not fall into the category of the Luxembourg nationality re-acquisition, can ask for the Luxembourg nationality under the following conditions:
- Being major (more than 18 years old) at the time of request
- Having lived legally in Luxembourg for more than 5 years and at least for 1 year in a continuous way at the time of the deposit of the citizenship application
- Satisfying the requirements of honourability. That is, the applicant mustn’t have made false declarations, hidden important facts or cheated in some way while applying for naturalisation. He will also have to not have been the object of any criminal punishment condemnation or a firm detention of a duration of 12 months or more, or with reprieve of 24 months or more.
Conditions to be granted Luxembourgish citizenship
The candidate for the Luxembourg naturalisation will owe besides:
- Having passed the evaluation test of oral Luxembourgish. The test is organised by the National Institute of Languages of Luxembourg. For the oral expression the required level is A2, which corresponds to a basic conversation: be capable of presenting yourself, asking for directions, going shopping in a store, catching up on somebody’s news, etc. For the oral understanding, the wanted level corresponds to B1: it is necessary to be at ease with the everyday subjects: at work, with friends, on the radio, etc.
- Having attended civics classes. The applicant must also have attended the “Living together in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg ” courses or passed the test concerning the subjects taught in this course. Organised by the Service of adults training of the Ministry of Education, Childhood and Youth, a minimum of 3 courses is compulsory (2h/lesson). There is no test, but a certificate granting the participation is put back to the participants.
The persons who carried out at least 7 years of schooling within the framework of the Luxembourg state education, or who have had an authorisation of stay since before the 31st of December 1984 and since then have been living in Luxembourg are exempted from the oral Luxembourgish and civics lessons evaluation system.
The principle of dual nationality
Since the 1st of January 2009, it is possible to acquire the Luxembourg nationality, while keeping its nationality of origin. It is the principle of the double nationality.
Careful however, if Luxembourg accepts this principle of dual nationality, it is not the case in all the countries, and it is possible that the country of origin of the candidate applying for the Luxembourg nationality, does not follow this principle. It belongs to the candidate to verify with the authorities of which he already has the nationality.
What procedure when asking for the Luxembourg nationality?
Before any filing of the naturalisation request form, the candidate must have passed the language tests (mentioned beforehand) and attended the civics classes (mentioned beforehand).
Send a naturalisation request form, dated and signed, to the Minister of Justice (form available on the www.guichet.public.lu website).
Watch out, all the documents are to be be filed with the municipality of your residence.
The Luxembourg nationality confers the right to vote for the Luxembourg elections.