Train services in Luxembourg
All train trips in Luxembourg are managed by the CFL, National Railway Company in Luxembourg. CFL passenger trains are eco-friendly means of transport. The electrical energy they use is 100% renewable and CO2-free.
Since 29 February 2020, public transport in Luxembourg has been free of charge. A first in the world!
But beware! This measure concerns public transport in 2nd class and on Luxembourg territory. First class and cross-border transport are still subject to a fee. Bus transport is free inside of the luxembourgish territory.
Fares for national train tickets 1st class on Luxembourg territory
- Ticket 2 hours (1 cl) 3€.
- Book of ten 2-hour tickets (1 cl) 24€.
- 1 day ticket (1 cl) 6€.
- Book of five 1-day tickets (1 cl) 24€.
- Short distance monthly subscription (1cl) €37.50
- Monthly subscription (1 cl) €75
- Short distance annual subscription (1cl) 330€.
- Annual subscription (1 cl) €660
- Senior subscription (1 cl) 200€.
Regiozone cross-border ticket prices
Cross-border workers and other users of TER Grande Région will continue to pay the fare for the part of the journey outside the Grand Duchy.
- 2-hour RegioZone 1 3€ ticket
- 2-hour RegioZone 2 ticket 5€.
- 1 day ticket RegioZone 1 5€.
- 1 day ticket RegioZone 2 9€.
- Monthly subscription RegioZone 1 €40
- RegioZone 2 monthly subscription €85
- RegioZone annual subscription €1,360
- RegioZone annual subscription €2,750
On CFL website, you might find:
- information on train schedules circulating on Luxembourg territory
- book and buy your train ticket online to the following European countries: France, Germany, Great Britain, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Switzerland.
The CFL desks can inform you on train trips and sell national and international train tickets.
You can also order your ticket by phone. Within 2 working days after your order, your ticket will be delivered to your home by post with all the information about your trip.
The mTicket application is your mobile counter for purchasing 2-hour, 1-day public transport tickets and monthly season tickets for the RegioZone cross-border network.
The mKaart is a highly functional plastic smart card in the format of a credit card, on which 1st class and cross-border tickets can be electronically loaded), as well as access to the Vël’OK service in Esch-sur-Alzette, access to the mBox bike parks, and also the Chargy service for access to public charging stations for electric cars.
The mKaart can be obtained at the CFL counters, at the Centrale de Mobilité at Luxembourg and Belval University stations, at the AVL (Infobox) at the Centre Hamilius, at the TICE counter at Esch-sur-Alzette station.
Your mKaart can then be directly credited to your mShop.lu account.
TGV station Luxembourg-City
From Luxembourg City, you can reach Paris Gare de l’Est in 2h10 thanks to the direct TGV train.
Access to the train is reserved for people who have bought their ticket in advance and have a reservation. Order your ticket by phone, within 2 working days of your order, your ticket will arrive at your home, by mail, with all the information about your trip.
You can also order your e-ticket via the SNCF French website.
Opening hours for the offices of the CFL
Given that transport is free of charge, only the largest stations maintain their CFL counters. Passengers will eventually be able to buy their tickets directly on the platform in the other stations.
- CFL Luxembourg : the central offices of Luxembourg station will be open from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday to Friday, and from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. International transport offices will be open from 5:00 am to 9:30 pm from Monday to Sunday and during holidays. The telephone information services will be available from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday to Saturday, and from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm on Sundays and public holidays.
- CFL Esch sur Alzette : The counters will be open from 6:15 am to 9:30 pm from Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
- CFL Belval-University: On weekdays, the counters open at 7:00 am and close at 7:00 pm. They are however closed on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
CFL mobile (App)
CFL mobile is designed to meet the needs of train passengers all over Europe. The built-in contact form allows you to send your suggestions and complaints directly to the CFL.
14 September 2020
13 August 2020
21 July 2020
16 July 2020
25 June 2020
16 June 2020
27 May 2020