You are an expatriate’s spouse and you want to earn additional income while managing your schedule and your activity? The best way to combine family life and professional life is to become self-employed.
Self-employment is on the rise in Luxembourg. We tell you here how to start as a freelancer and be quickly operational.
You will also find some coworking spaces that will allow you to benefit from a flexible work space outside your home.
Working as a freelancer: advantages and instructions for use
The self-employed person carries out his or her activity on his or her own account, without the need to create a specific company.
A light administrative formalism
To be able to exercise your profession as a self-employed person in Luxembourg, no specific incorporation document is required. You will also not have to pay any initial share capital. You will just have to complete some basic administrative steps.
1 – First of all, you will have to request an establishment authorization from the Ministry of Economy. To do so, you will have to justify your skills and qualities with the necessary documents. You will then obtain the right to practice your trade. Here are the documents you will be asked for depending on whether you have been a resident of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for more than 10 years or not:
- Application for an establishment permit, including the declaration on honour of the Luxembourg Ministry of Economy
- Tax stamp of 24 euros purchased from the Administration of Registration, Domains and VAT (AED) or proof of execution of a transfer of 24 euros to the account CCP LU09 1111 7026 5281 0000, BIC code: CCPLLULL of the office of Diekirch – revenue, with the communication: “authorization of trade”.
- In case of creation of a company in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg a draft of the articles of association
- A copy of your current criminal record from your country of residence and the countries in which you have resided in the last 10 years
- Extract from your up-to-date criminal record of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (bulletin no. 3) of recent date ; 5. No qualifications are required for the “Trade” license Copy of diplomas/qualifications for the “Drinking establishment/restaurant” license as well as for “Real estate agent, property manager, co-ownership trustee and real estate developer” and for “Carrier of goods/passengers from 2.5 tons to 3.5 tons or more than 3.5 tons”; 6. Legible copy of the identity card / residence permit (double-sided copy).
- Declaration of non-bankruptcy to be requested from a notary of your acquaintance
- Copy of the passport or identity card (front and back) of the person who will carry out the commercial activity
- Copies of your diplomas and training (in case they are requested by the administration – no qualification is required for the “Commerce” authorization. See recognition of diplomas and validation of professional experience.
2 – You will also need a VAT number to issue invoices with VAT collection. The VAT number must be requested from the Administration of Registration, Domains and VAT. However, below a certain amount of turnover, it is possible to invoice without VAT.
3 – As a self-employed person you will also have to register with the CCSS. This will allow you to contribute to various insurances, includinghealth insurance or old age pension. You will also have to contribute to a specific accident insurance depending on your profession.
An interesting social coverage
Contrary to other countries, the self-employed worker in Luxembourg benefits from the same advantages as the employees. However, he must pay all his own social charges.
The self-employed person has the same rights as employees in terms of old age pension, maternity and parental leave. In case of incapacity to work, the indemnities are paid from the 4th month.
In case of unemployment, he will be compensated under certain conditions, including that of having exercised his activity for at least 6 months.
The self-employed person is indefinitely liable for the debts and commitments related to the activity on his personal assets.
From a fiscal point of view, a municipal commercial tax will be due on the operating profit. The entrepreneur will be taxed on his income as an individual.
Principle of coworking
You are an entrepreneur, you create a startup and are looking for a workspace? The benefits of coworking are well documented. The principle of coworking is simple.
You rent a workspace, fixed or flexible, shared with others, in a motivating and inspiring work environment. These coworking spaces offer a real separation between private and professional life.
Very popular with self-employed people and teleworkers, coworking spaces allow you to work outside your home and benefit from a real workplace at attractive rates.
Whether it’s for a few hours, one or two days a week or a whole month, these shared workspaces offer real flexibility to coworkers. Members benefit from the sharing of space and equipment.
If needed, they can also rent a meeting room or use shared services.
Beyond the simple sharing of offices and logistics, it is also and above all a question of creating a real professional community.
In the coworking spaces, which are growing rapidly in Luxembourg, everyone can use shared work spaces or rent a dedicated workstation, depending on their needs. Users find it flexible and affordable for a start-up business. Beyond the infrastructure, there is also the possibility to benefit from professional services at competitive costs.
But above all, coworking spaces are also synonymous with exchanging skills and sharing knowledge in order to optimize productivity through common inspiration.
Freelancers or start-ups can find all the benefits of a company, while keeping their autonomy, flexibility and control of their costs.
How to choose a coworking space that meets your needs?
To choose your new workspace, you need to answer a few basic questions first. What are your needs and the purpose of your new shared work environment?
- Would you like a place to work in peace?
- Are you looking for a friendly place where you can exchange with peers and create new working relationships?
- Do you need meeting rooms to receive clients?
- What atmosphere do you look for to find creative energy? What do you need to enjoy your work and be productive?
- What services do you need to grow your business?
- What are your working hours?
Depending on your activity, choose a workspace that will allow you to benefit from the necessary confidentiality or to enjoy the conviviality of an open space.
Consider all-inclusive or a la carte service offerings. Choose a coworking formula by the hour, by the day or by the month.
Do you need to exchange and find new sources of inspiration? Coworking is a great way to get out of isolation and develop your network. Choose a place where events are organized such as afterwork parties or networking breakfasts.
Need to unwind? Some workspaces also offer a gym, a café area or a terrace.
And don’t hesitate to visit several coworking spaces to feel the atmosphere and admire the decoration. It is important to feel good, in total harmony with the place. Some offer a one-day trial. Do not hesitate to ask for it.
Coworking spaces in Luxembourg
Workspaces are developing more and more to meet the needs of entrepreneurs and freelancers. Several spaces are available in or near the Luxembourg capital. Here are some of them and there are many more
21 Rue Glesener in Luxembourg
Collective offices and private spaces on 5 floors and over 2,000 m². 24/7 access
Daily rates (30 euros). Hot Desk from 295 euros/month. Dedicated desk from 495 euros/month
Coworking spaces located in Luxembourg, Leudelange (from 259 euros per month), Livange, Bertrange
From 297€/month (HTVA) for 1 dedicated workstation and unlimited access to common areas. Private locker, mailing address, internet access, meeting rooms according to availability), use of printer (100 pages/month)
Unlimited access to all Urban Office centers in Luxembourg City – Rue du Nord, Wecker, Windhof (Koerich), Bettembourg – Z.A.E. Wolser, Esch-Belval
Ginkgo Solutions Facilities
From 5€/h, unlimited access to the coworking space, services and equipment, during opening hours.
- The Place – 2, place de Paris, L-2314 Luxembourg in a renovated and functional mansion, 5 minutes walk from the train station,
- The Avenue – 13-15, Avenue de la Liberté L-1931 Luxembourg near the train station and the city center
- The City – 14-16, Avenue Pasteur L-2310 Luxembourg. Parking spaces. Fitness area with shower, a lounge area with an espresso bar, a large fully equipped kitchen, a private reception club for residents and their visitors.
16a, avenue de la Liberté L-1930 Luxembourg
3 flexible and comfortable meeting rooms for your meetings, bright offices
7 Avenue du Swing, 4024 Esch-sur-Alzette
Relaxation and lunch area
Coworking from 190 euros per month in 2 spaces: 29 Boulevard G.D. Charlotte in Luxembourg in a former garage and Boulevard Prince Henri in Luxembourg in a former library.
Cheaper offers are available for a few days per month with 24-hour access to the spaces and use of the logistics.
Multilingual, multicultural and above all multi-talented community. Ideal for creatives, freelancers, startups and small businesses
Several workspaces in Luxembourg, Senningerberg, Bertrange, Livange, … Regus offers rather conventional solutions with dedicated offices. Coworking spaces are smaller.
On the other hand, the IWC group, owner of the Regus brands, offers new coworking spaces with “Spaces
3 sites in Luxembourg: Place de la Gare, Boulevard Royal and Gasperich opposite the Cloche d’Or shopping center.
Available in 5, 10 days or full month. Depending on the length of commitment, memberships rates start at :
- € 99/per person, 5 days per month
- 139/per person, 10 days per month
- € 215/per month
10A Rue du Puis in Luxembourg on a space of 300 m². Prefer a small size for more conviviality and exchanges. Several boxes with promising names: Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Marc Zuckerberg and our Master to all: Steve Jobs
Coworking by the month for 299€/HT, access to all spaces, private office 499 euros/month, Flex pass: day 29 €/TTC, 1/2 day at 19 €/TTC
Meeting rooms from 30 euros/hour
2 spaces :
Central Station in Luxembourg City, in a former warehouse with an industrial spirit, 5 minutes from the station.
Secret garden in Bertrange : near the Belgian border and the main roads. A space designed as a Speakeasy to recreate the relaxed atmosphere of old American speakeasies during the prohibition era.
Luxembourg City Incubator
9 Rue du Laboratoire in Luxembourg
From 300 euros/month. Support program for startups set up by the Chamber of Commerce and the City of Luxembourg. Entry based on precise criteria (innovation, development potential, etc.)
Located in Esch-sur-Alzette, this space promotes the movement of the Ecological Transition and the circular economy. Everyone is concretely involved in the life of the place.
- 20 Coworking Flying Desk
- 10 Fixed Coworking Stations
- Meeting room 15 people
- Relaxation Room
- Sunny Terrace
- Waste Sorting Area & Free your Stuff
- Kitchen & Sanitary
Color Business Center
3 coworking spaces located in Bertrange and Strassen, from 195 euros per month. Various services including :
- Business address
- Private workstation
- 24/7 access
- Meeting room 10h/month
- High speed WIFI
- Kitchen and lounge area
- Charges and cleaning included
- Dedicated housing
- Collective lunches
Coworking space located in Dommeldange within a creative agency. Ideal for small businesses, freelancers and entrepreneurs looking for an inspiring environment
Coworking from 250 euros HT per month for :
- fixed office in a shared space
- wifi included
- access to shared facilities, free for personal use and 50% discount for commercial use
- Meeting room included (10h/month)
Expatriate spouse: what if you became a teacher?
The first reflex of an expatriate spouse is to look for opportunities on various professional directories. Unfortunately, the status of expat spouse can be a hindrance in the job search. Employers fear a possible departure due to the spouse’s sudden transfer elsewhere. And this is all the more true because the Luxembourg job market is very dynamic . There is no shortage of candidates.
Why not become a freelance teacher?This possibility is often neglected due to lack of reflex.
However, as seen previously, the position of freelance is interesting in Luxembourg and the formalities to set up are rather light. The administrative registration is quick and below a certain income threshold, it is possible to charge tax free.
Many parents are looking for teachers for after-school tutoring. International schools are also likely to be looking for teachers for primary or secondary classes.
So, why not offer your services as an independent teacher? In order to guide you and to know the ins and outs of such an adventure, consult the website www.guichet.lu.
Civil servant teacher
Luxembourg school teachers have the status of civil servants.
Luxembourg teachers are paid 23% more on average (source: OECD) than their counterparts of the same age and equivalent level of training. Moreover, with a relatively small number of students per teacher of about 10 students per class, it can be interesting to work on languages…
In order to become a “Joffer”, you must master the three official languages of Luxembourgish, German and French. If this is the case and you have a bachelor’s degree related to teaching, you can try your luck at the competition organized by the Ministry of National Education, which is actively recruiting.
Not interested in freelancing? Search for work in Luxembourg as an employee
OUR LATEST NEWS