Luxembourg is a country with a Christian tradition. Christmas and Advent are celebrated in many ways, both religious and otherwise. Christmas is a time to celebrate with the family over a good meal. The towns and villages dress up in their festive clothes and organise the famous Advent markets with their many activities. This period is very festive and joyful in Luxembourg and in the Greater Region.
Christmas markets and events in Luxembourg
The end of November also means the beginning of the Christmas markets “Chrëschtmaart”. Typical and greedy, they are much awaited by the Luxembourg population. Every year in Luxembourg there are many Christmas markets, which contribute to the warm atmosphere of this time of the year.
Made up of numerous small traditional wooden chalets, the Christmas markets are located in the most important squares of the cities. They offer visitors musical, light and festive entertainment. The small wooden chalets, set up for the occasion, offer many small handicrafts that can be used as Christmas gifts. You can also taste traditional dishes such as Gromperkichelcher, Spätzle, Grillwurst, … accompanied by Glühwein (mulled wine). We take the opportunity to meet with family and friends.
Very convivial, these Advent markets are crowded, including at lunchtime, to enjoy the food stalls, decorations and other Christmas lights. Advent is a very joyful and festive time in Luxembourg.
During this pre-Christmas period, the shops of the City of Luxembourg are open on Sunday afternoons from 21 November to 19 December. You will be able to take advantage of it to do your Christmas shopping. More information on Sunday store openings.
Please note that due to the sanitary context, entry to the Christmas markets is subject to the presentation of a valid Health Pass.
Advent markets in Luxembourg City or Winterlights
After the Advent markets were cancelled in 2020 due to the Covid crisis, the City of Luxembourg is organising its Advent markets from 19 November 2021 until 2 January 2022.
- The traditional Christmas market is located on the Place d’Armes. The “Lëtzebuerger Chrëschtmaart” consists of about 30 cottages. You will find handicrafts, Christmas decorations and Luxembourg culinary specialities. A large decorated fir tree of 12 meters and a giant crib decorate the square. All the magic of Christmas is present with the animations of the “Tree Light Show” at 5:30 pm, 6:30 pm, 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm every evening. Very lively, this Christmas market is one of our favorites!
- The other big market is the “Wantermaart” winter market on Constitution Square. About 40 wooden chalets gather every year under the statue of Gelle Frä to offer food stalls. Rides and the Ferris wheel with a view of the city are a delight for young and old.
- The traditional Saint Nicholas Market in the station district, the “Niklosmaart”, has returned to the Place de Paris, which has been embellished after the tramway works. From November 21 to December 23 with a decorated tree and live music. St. Nicholas awaits children in his house from November 20 to December 4.
- Let‘s not forget the 800 m² heated ice rink traditionally located on the Place Guillaume II. Due to the construction of the Knuedler, it has been moved to the Kinnekswiss. This one will be surrounded by chalets allowing you to eat on the spot in a musical and festive atmosphere. Ice sculpture demonstrations. The kids love it! And the adults too with the presence of the gastronomic village.
- New this year is the“Winterkids” in Rue Notre Dame. Many animations and workshops await your children for their greatest pleasure.
More information and the full programme of events on the dedicated website of the City of Luxembourg.
Christmas markets in southern Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette, the first Christmas market to take place
From 19 November until 22 December, the town of Esch-sur-Alzette welcomes its visitors to its Advent market. Entertainment and concerts are planned for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. Saint Nicholas will make an appearance there on December 5.
Medieval Christmas in Dudelange
On the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville in Dudelange, about forty small chalets meet every year in an atmosphere worthy of the medieval era. Handicrafts, drinks and typical dishes, animations and shows will be proposed to you: tavern, campfire, storyteller, …
Each day, a nice program is set up to bring to this traditional Christmas market a touch of old-fashioned originality among the exhibitors. The children’s entertainment will start on 30 November, while the Christmas market will be officially open from 10 to 19 December.
Differdange, the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg
Differdange also has its own Christmas market with about 30 chalets open from December 3rd to 21st. Differdange has had its Christmas market since 1977, which makes it the oldest market in Luxembourg. Here you can find decorative objects and handicrafts as well as culinary specialities to enjoy with “Glühwein”.