Christmas Markets are coming to Luxembourg!
Christmas festivities in Luxembourg
Christmas is the most important Christian celebration. Many families in Luxembourg celebrate Christmas by sharing a good meal, after having attended the Christmas Eve mass on 24 December 24th and/or Christmas mass on December 25th.
Christmas holidays are an opportunity for Luxembourg to see many Christmas markets flourish in the cities of the country from the first Sunday of Advent (late November / early December). They close on the 4th Sunday of Advent, before December 25th.
Christmas markets open from late November
Christmas markets open from late November in Luxembourg. Every year, there are many classic, convivial, gourmet, and often artisanal Christmas markets in Luxembourg.
These Christmas markets are made of many small wooden chalets put on the biggest squares of cities. They sell many items that would perfectly be Christmas gifts. You can taste traditional food: Gromperkichelcher (potato pancakes), Spätzle (egg pasta), Grillwurst (grilled sausages) and Glühwein (hot wine).
Are you an expat or new arrival in Luxembourg and would like to go along?
Here is Just Arrived’s list of the most beautiful markets in the capital.
List of Christmas markets in Luxembourg
In the capital
They are located in different parts of the town centre:
- Place d’Armes: numerous chalets selling arts and crafts items and Luxembourgish culinary specialties. There is also a carousel.
- Place de Paris: hosts the St Nicholas market every day.
- Puits Rouge: Christmas village with stands run by various associations and all proceeds go to charity. Open every day from 23 November.
- Knuedler on Ice: from 22 November to 8 January the traditional heated ice rink is on Place Guillaume II, in the heart of town. There are chalets around the rink selling food and drinks.
- Place de la Constitution: many chalets selling food and drink, arts and crafts items, kids workshops, a carousel and a big wheel open from 23 November to 24 December, under the Gelle Frä statue.
The medieval Christmas market of Dudelange, a festive atmosphere
On the square of the Town Hall of Dudelange (southern Luxembourg), about forty small chalets meet in an atmosphere worthy of medieval times. Crafts, drinks and typical dishes, entertainment and shows are organised! In the middle of the market, typical Christmas carols, fire shows, a capella concerts, Folk Rock or French songs will be performed. The Snow Queen and her dogs, unicorns and birds of prey as well as Kalibo the magician and Bertholder the storyteller will also be there, for the pleasure of both adults and children!
Every day, a nice program will be set up to bring this traditional Christmas market a touch of originality among the exhibitors.
The Christmas market of Dudelange is open from Monday to Thursday from 16:00 to 20:00, Friday from 16:00 to 21:00, Saturday from 14:00 to 21:00 and Sunday from 14:00 to 20:00 on the Square of the City Hall of Dudelange.
In Luxembourg-City, Christmas festivities are called “Winterlights”. For more than a month, the capital is full of Christmas decorations: nativity scenes, Christmas lights, chalets, Christmas trees, … They go all out to make the town look warm and inviting!
There are also a number of fun activities for both residents and visitors: traditional Christmas markets, carousels, ice rink, big wheel, circus, concerts, street music, …
This will take place from 23 November.