The Christmas Markets are coming to Luxembourg!
Christmas celebrations in Luxembourg
Christmas is the most important religious celebration according to Jesus birth. Many family in Luxembourg celebrate Christmas around a good meal, after having attended the family service at Christmas Eve on December 24th and / or Christmas Mass on December 25th.
The Christmas holidays are an opportunity for Luxembourg to see many Christmas markets flourish in the cities of Luxembourg from the first Sunday of Advent (late November / early December). These are finished on the 4th Sunday of Advent, before December 25th.
Every year there are a number of classic, convival, gourmet, and often artisanal christmas markets in Luxembourg. Already a few wooden chalets are installed in the city center and there marking the beginning of the festivities!
Are you an expat or new arrival in Luxembourg and would like to go along?
Here is Just Arrived’s list of the most beautiful markets in the capital.
In Luxembourg City the Christmas festivities are called “Winterlights”.
For more than a month the capital is adorned with a whole variety of Christmas decorations: light garlands, nativity scenes, illuminations, chalets, Christmas trees, … They go all out to make the town look warm and inviting!
There are also a number of fun activities for both residents and visitors: traditional Christmas markets, carousels, ice rink, big wheel, circus, concerts, street music, …
This will take place from 22nd November until 24th December 2016.
Which Christmas markets in Luxembourg-City?
They are located in different parts of town in Luxembourg-centre district:
- La Place Armes: numerous chalets selling arts and crafts and Luxembourgish culinary specialities. There is also a carousel.
- La Place de Paris: will host the St Nicolas market every day, from 22nd November to 23 December.
- Le Puits Rouges: Christmas village with stands run by various associations and all proceeds go to charity. Open everyday from 23rd November to 24th December.
- Knuedler on Ice: from 22nd November to 8th January the traditional heated ice rink is on Place Guillaume in the heart of town. There are chalets around the rink selling food and drinks.
- La Place de la Constitution: also a number of chalets selling food and drink, arts and crafts, kids workshops, a carousel and a big wheel open from 23rd November to 24th December.
The medieval Christmas market of Dudelange, a festive atmosphere
On the square of the Town Hall of Dudelange (southern Luxembourg), forty small cottages meet in an atmosphere worthy of medieval times. Crafts, drinks and typical dishes, entertainment and shows will be offered! In the middle of the market, typical Christmas carols, fire shows, a capella concerts, Folk Rock or French songs will be organized. The Snow Queen and her dogs, unicorns and birds of prey as well as Kalibo the magician and Bertholder the storyteller will also be partying, for the pleasure of both adults and children!
Every day, a nice program will be set up to bring this traditional Christmas market a touch of originality among the exhibitors.
The Christmas market in Dudelange is open from Monday to Thursday from 16:00 to 20:00, Friday from 16:00 to 21:00, Saturday from 14:00 to 21:00 and Sunday from 14:00 to 20:00 in the Square of the City Hall of Dudelange.