Luxembourg is known for its charming and festive Christmas and Advent markets. During this period, which runs from late November to early January, residents and visitors alike can enjoy the holiday spirit.
The cities and villages are also dressed in their festive clothes. The streets are illuminated with multiple decorations. Despite the cold and snow, the whole country is celebrating. The population multiplies the opportunities for outings and exchanges. This period is very festive.
The municipalities or “Gemeng” organize the famous Christmas or Advent markets. There are many animations. The end of November in Luxembourg means the beginning of the Christmas markets or “Chrëschtmaart”. The whole population is waiting for these typical and greedy Advent markets. They contribute to give a warm and festive atmosphere to this time of the year.
Christmas markets are set up in the most important squares of towns and villages. Many small traditional wooden chalets appear for the occasion. Each market has its own special atmosphere, with music, lights and various animations.
The small typical cottages offer many small handicrafts. These can be small Christmas gifts representative of the region.
Traditional dishes such as Gromperkichelcher, Spätzle, Grillwurst, … Glühwein (mulled wine) or hot apple juice for the children accompany the tasting.
Residents flock to these markets, including at lunchtime, to enjoy the food stalls, decorations and other Christmas lights. This Advent period is a very joyful and festive time in Luxembourg.
Luxembourg residents take advantage of this opportunity to get together with family and friends. Each year, they spend a festive and friendly time, making forget the cold and the gray.
The Winterlights of Luxembourg City from November 18, 2022 to January 8, 2023
During this Christmas period, the Luxembourg capital is illuminated with multiple decorations. The stores take advantage of this to open their doors every Sunday afternoon. What could be better than walking through decorated streets and in front of stores with the most shimmering windows?
Discover or rediscover Luxembourg under a new light, dressed in its clothes of light with the animation of Winterlights.
A little tired? Take advantage of this opportunity to visit the stores for a little gourmet and friendly break between 2 stores. Even the kids will love Christmas shopping! You will be able to take advantage of it to do your Christmas shopping.
Here too, the Christmas markets or “Chrëschtmaart” offer concerts, carousels, food stands and other entertainment for children and adults.
This is an opportunity to buy unique gifts and indulge in delicious treats at the friendly local markets.
Where to find the Christmas markets 2022 in Luxembourg?
- The traditional Christmas market is located on the Place d’Armes. The “Lëtzebuerger Chrëschtmaart” has about 30 cottages. This is one of the most popular Christmas markets in Luxembourg. The Place d’Armes is transformed into a winter wonderland, decorated with twinkling lights and decorations. A large tree and a giant nativity scene decorate the square. You will find handicrafts, Christmas decorations and Luxembourgish culinary specialties. Visitors can browse a variety of stalls selling arts and crafts, local products, jewelry and Christmas decorations. All the magic of Christmas is present with the musical animations. This market is our favorite.
- The other big market is the “Wantermaart” winter market on Constitution Square. About 40 wooden chalets gather every year under the statue of Gelle Frä. They offer food stalls. Rides and the Ferris wheel with a view of the city are also a delight for young and old.
- The traditional St. Nicholas Market in the station district, the “Niklosmaart”, is back on the Place de Paris. A decorated tree and live music will give the place the colors of the festival. The Saint-Nicolas is waiting for the children in his house.
- The“Winterkids” is also back in the courtyard of the old Athénée . Numerous animations and workshops are waiting for your children for their greatest pleasure.
- The Limperstberg district will not be left out this year with the presence of the “Lëtzebuerger Adventcircus” on the Glacis from December 9 to January 8.
- On the other hand, the 800 m² heated ice rink on the Kinnekswiss in the city park will not be held this year. The “Wanterpark” and its gastronomic village.
More information and the full programme of events on the dedicated website of the City of Luxembourg.
Energy saving is a must
While the Christmas Market period is longer this year, it will still mean energy savings. Due to rising energy prices, the decorations will light up daily from 4:30 to 11:00 pm only. Only on December 24, 25 and 26, as well as on January 31, the Christmas lights will shine until 1am.
LED lighting, which consumes less energy, can save up to 30% of energy.
Nevertheless, the spirit will still be there after 3 difficult years. 2019 had in fact marked the end, after an accidental death on one of the Christmas markets. The whole country was in mourning after the accident and the festivities were stopped. The contracts had been cancelled in 2020 and restricted in 2021. This year marks the return of the markets in their traditional form. The City of Luxembourg expects more than 1.2 million visitors for the 2022 Christmas markets.
Other remarkable Christmas markets in Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette, Escher Krëschtmoart
Another remarkable Christmas market is located in the picturesque town of Esch-sur-Alzette. The market usually takes place around the town hall square, creating a magical atmosphere with its festive ambiance. Visitors can find a range of food stalls offering traditional Luxembourg specialities, as well as craft and gift stalls.
The city of Esch-sur-Alzette welcomes its visitors to its Advent market as of November 18 on the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville. Animations and concerts are planned from Sunday to Thursday from 12pm to 8pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 12pm to 10pm.
Medieval Christmas in Dudelange
On the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville in Dudelange, about forty small chalets meet every year in an atmosphere worthy of the medieval era. Handicrafts, drinks and typical dishes, animations and shows will be proposed to you: tavern, campfire, storyteller, …
Each day, a nice program is set up to bring to this traditional Christmas market a touch of originality of yesteryear among the exhibitors.
Differdange, the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg
Differdange also proposes its Christmas market with about thirty chalets open from December 2nd to 22nd. Differdange has its own Christmas market since 1977? It is the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg. Here you can find decorative objects and handicrafts as well as culinary specialties to enjoy with “Glühwein”.
Christian Christmas traditions
Luxembourg is a country with a Christian tradition. Christmas is an important event for Christians, but also for the whole country. This period is very festive and joyful in Luxembourg.
On the occasion of the end of the year celebrations, churches and parishes in Luxembourg offer religious celebrations to celebrate the birth of the baby Jesus.
Families prepare to celebrate this event by sharing tasty meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, December 25. The children look forward to the arrival of Saint Nicholas who brings gifts to the good children .