Luxembourg is a country with a Christian tradition. Many families celebrate Christmas by sharing a good meal, after having attended the Christmas Eve mass on 24 December 24th and/or Christmas mass on December 25th.
The period before Christmas is an opportunity for Luxembourg to see many Christmas markets flourish in the cities of the country from the first Sunday of Advent at the end of november. They close on the 4th Sunday of Advent, before December 25th.
Unfortunately, due to the restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic, Christmas markets will not take place in 2020. We will only be able to admire the illuminations. See you in 2021 for even more magical Christmas festivities!
Christmas and Advent markets open from late November
The end of November also means the beginning of the Christmas markets “Chrëschtmaart”. Typical and gourmet, these markets are numerous every year in Luxembourg and contribute to giving a festive and warm atmosphere to this very special time of the year.
Set up for the 1st Sunday of Advent (24 November this year), they end on the 4th Sunday of Advent, i.e. before 25 December.
These Advent or Christmas markets are made up of many small wooden chalets located in the most important squares of the cities. They offer visitors musical and luminous entertainment, as well as small chalets where you can buy a wide range of small handicrafts that can be used as Christmas gifts or traditional dishes such as Gromperkichelcher (potato pancakes), Spätzle (egg pasta), Grillwurst (roasted sausages),… accompanied by Glühwein (mulled wine), or even discover other dishes from elsewhere.
Very friendly, these Advent markets are crowded, including lunches, to enjoy food stands, decorations and other Christmas lights. Advent is a very joyful and festive time in Luxembourg.
Are you an expat or new arrival in Luxembourg and would like to go along?
Christmas markets in Luxembourg- City
- Christmas market Place d’Armes “Lëtzebuerger Chrëschtmaart” from 21 November to 24 December 2019: some fifty chalets sell Luxembourg handicrafts, Christmas decorations and culinary specialities in this traditional “Chrëschtmaart”. Two carrousels are also available for the youngest, a large decorated fir tree and a giant crib. The presence of the music Kiosk with its various concerts gives a real festive atmosphere to this very lively Christmas market. One of our favorites!
- Jan Palach Square in the immediate vicinity will also be animated with a “Wanterbësch”, until 5 January with a special animation for children and the possibility of eating around a wood fire.
- Le Puits-Rouge “Roude Pëtz” and its solidarity market is located in the Grand-Rue from 23 November to 23 December. The chalets are run by associations in order to donate their profits to charities. Old carousel for children.
- Winter market “Wantermaart” in Constitution Square from 21 November to Tuesday 24 December. More than 50 wooden chalets meet each year under the Gelle Frä statue to offer food stands but also activities for children: workshops, rides, trampoline with elastic band, big wheel.
- This year, the Place du Théâtre is hosting a “Poppenthater” with puppets and dolls. Catering stands. From December 7 to 22.
- The traditional Saint Nicolas Market in the station district, the “Niklosmaart” with its ten chalets will be moved to Rue de Strasbourg because of the tramway works. From November 21 to December 23 with a decorated tree and live musical entertainment. Visit of St. Nicholas on December 6.
Christmas markets in southern Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette, the first Christmas market to open
From 15 November to 22 December, the city of Esch-sur-Alzette welcomes its visitors to its Advent market. Entertainment and concerts on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays evenings.
The medieval Christmas market of Dudelange
On the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville de Dudelange, about forty small chalets are located in an atmosphere worthy of the medieval era. Crafts, drinks and typical dishes, entertainment and shows will be offered: tavern, campfire, storyteller,…
Every day, a beautiful program is set up to bring to this traditional Christmas market a touch of originality from the past among the exhibitors. Children’s activities will start on December 1st, while the Christmas market will be officially open from December 6th at 6pm and will be open until December 15th.
Differdange, the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg
Differdange also offers its Christmas market, with about thirty chalets open for 2 weeks, from December 6 to 22. Differdange has had its Christmas market since 1977, which makes it the oldest market in Luxembourg also offering decorative and craft items, as well as culinary specialities to enjoy with “Glühwein”.
Special activities around Christmas
In Luxembourg City, the Christmas festivities are called “Winterlights”. For more than a month, from November 21 to January 5, the capital is decorated with Christmas decorations: light games, nativity scenes, illuminations with several tens of kilometres of garlands of light, more than 100 chalets on the Christmas markets, giant decorated trees,… Everything is done to ensure that the city radiates warmth and friendliness!
Many entertaining activities are also offered around the traditional Christmas markets: rides, 32-metre big wheel, circus, concerts, music in the streets, etc.
Knuedler on ice
Of course, let’s not forget the must-see Knuedler on Ice in Luxembourg: from 21 November 2019 to 5 January 2020, the traditional 800 m² heated ice rink will be located on Place Guillaume II, right in the city centre. This one will be surrounded by chalets allowing you to eat on site in a musical and festive atmosphere. Ice sculpture demonstrations. The kids love it! And adults too, with the presence of the gastronomic village.
The traditional Cirque du Lux is back in business from 29 November to 31 December. Located on the Place du Glacis, Limpertsberg district. Information and tickets on luxemburger-adventscircus.com.
Procession of Saint Nicholas
The traditional St. Nicholas’ Procession will take place this year on Sunday, December 1st. Saint Nicolas will arrive at the Central Station at 1:30 pm for a candy distribution in a musical atmosphere. It will then go up the Avenue de la Gare to arrive Rue de Strasbourg around 3pm, then Place de la Constitution around 4pm to finish Place Guillaume II around 5pm. Learn more about it.
The stores will be open on Sunday afternoons from November 24 to December 22. More information on Sunday store openings.