Christmas Entertainment and festivities in Luxembourg
Christmas is the most important Christian celebration in Luxembourg. Many families celebrate Christmas by sharing a good meal, after having attended the Christmas Eve mass on 24 December 24th and/or Christmas mass on December 25th.
Christmas holidays are an opportunity for Luxembourg to see many Christmas markets flourish in the cities of the country from the first Sunday of Advent (late November / early December). They close on the 4th Sunday of Advent, before December 25th.
Christmas and Advent markets open from late November
Christmas markets open from late November in Luxembourg. Every year, there are many classic, convivial, gourmet, and often artisanal Christmas markets in Luxembourg.
These Christmas markets are made of many small wooden chalets put on the biggest squares of cities. They sell many items that would perfectly be Christmas gifts. You can also taste traditional food: Gromperkichelcher (potato pancakes), Spätzle (egg pasta), Grillwurst (grilled sausages) and Glühwein (hot wine).
Are you an expat or new arrival in Luxembourg and would like to go along?
Christmas markets in Luxembourg
They are located in different parts of the town centre:
- Christmas market Place d’Armes from Friday 23 November to Monday 24 December 2018: around 50 chalets sell crafts, Christmas decorations and traditional Luxembourg culinary specialities in this traditional “Chrëschtmaart”. A carousel is also available for the youngest ones, as well as a duck fishing. The presence of the Music Kiosk with its various concerts gives a real festive atmosphere.
- St Nicholas market at the Place de Paris: “Niklosmaart” with about ten chalets from 22 November to 23 December in the station area
- Le Puits-Rouge “Roude Pëtz” and its solidarity market, whose chalets are mainly run by various associations in order to donate their profits to charities. Every day from 23 November to Monday 24 December.
- Winter market in Constitution Square from Friday 23 November to Monday 24 December 2018: more than 60 wooden chalets gather there every year under the Gelle Frä statue for a Christmas-themed world tour. International catering with foie gras, Thai noodles or Irish Coffee, refreshment bar, children’s activities, workshops, craft sales, rides, trampoline with elastic for children and big wheel.
- And for the first time in 2018, Place du Théâtre will host a covered Christmas market from Thursday, November 29 to December 24 to offer visitors craft and regional products.
The medieval Christmas market of Dudelange, a festive atmosphere
On the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville de Dudelange (south Luxembourg), about forty small chalets are located in an atmosphere worthy of the medieval era. Crafts, drinks and typical dishes, entertainment and shows will be offered: tavern, campfire, storyteller,…
Every day, a beautiful program is set up to bring to this traditional Christmas market a touch of originality from the past among the exhibitors. Children’s activities will start on December 1st, while the Christmas market will be officially open from December 7th at 6pm and will be open until December 16th.
Differdange Christmas Market, the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg
Differdange also offers its Christmas market, with about thirty chalets open for 2 weeks, from December 7 to 23, 2018. Differdange has had its Christmas market since 1977, which makes it the oldest market in Luxembourg also offering decorative and craft items, as well as culinary specialities to enjoy with “Glühwein”.
Special activities around Christmas
In Luxembourg City, the Christmas festivities are called “Winterlights”. For more than one month, the capital is decorated with Christmas decorations: Christmas lighting, crèches, illuminations with 45 km of garlands of light, 132 chalets on the Christmas markets, 30 trees between 8 and 3 m high,… Everything is done to ensure that the city radiates warmth and friendliness!
Many entertaining activities are also available to residents and tourists alike: traditional Christmas markets, rides, ice rink, 32-metre big wheel, circus, concerts, music in the streets, etc.
Check the Winterlights.lu website for more information.
Knuedler on ice
Let’s not forget the must-see Knuedler on Ice in Luxembourg: from 22 November 2018 to 6 January 2019. The traditional 800 m² heated ice rink will be located on Place Guillaume II, right in the city centre. This one will be surrounded by chalets enabling you to eat on site.
Procession of Saint Nicholas
The traditional St. Nicholas’ Procession will take place this year on Sunday, December 2, 2018. Saint Nicolas will arrive at the Central Station at 1:30 pm for a candy distribution in a musical atmosphere. It will then go up the Avenue de la Gare to arrive at Place de Paris around 2:30 pm, then Place de la Constitution around 3:30 pm and finish at Place Guillaume II around 5 pm. Learn more about it.
The stores will be open on Sunday afternoons from November 25 to December 30. More information.