Luxembourg is a country with a Christian tradition. Christmas and Advent are important events, not only for Christians, but also for the whole country. This period is very festive and joyful in Luxembourg. Despite the cold and snow, the whole country is celebrating and multiplying the opportunities to go out.
On the occasion of the end of the year celebrations, the cities and villages dress up in their festive clothes. The streets are illuminated with multiple decorations. The communes organize the famous Christmas or Advent markets, with many animations.
Advent markets and Christmas animations in Luxembourg
The end of November in Luxembourg means the beginning of the Christmas markets or “Chrëschtmaart”. The whole population is waiting for these typical and greedy Advent markets. They contribute to give a warm and festive atmosphere to this time of the year.
Christmas markets are set up in the most important squares of the cities. They are made up of many small traditional wooden chalets, assembled for the occasion. In these markets, visitors find a special atmosphere, made of music, lights and various animations.
The small typical cottages offer many small handicrafts. These are representative Christmas gifts of the region. Traditional dishes such as Gromperkichelcher, Spätzle, Grillwurst, … Glühwein (mulled wine) or hot apple juice for the children accompany the tasting. Luxembourg residents take advantage of this opportunity to get together with family and friends. Each year, they spend a festive and friendly time, making forget the cold and the gray.
Residents flock to these markets, including at lunchtime, to enjoy the food stalls, decorations and other Christmas lights. This Advent period is a very joyful and festive time in Luxembourg.
During this pre-Christmas period, the stores of the City of Luxembourg open every Sunday afternoon. You will be able to take advantage of it to do your Christmas shopping.
Advent markets in Luxembourg City or Winterlights
As every year, the City of Luxembourg organizes its Advent markets from November 18, 2022 to January 8, 2023.
Energy saving is a must
While the Christmas Market period is longer this year, it will still mean energy savings. Due to rising energy prices, the decorations will light up daily from 4:30 to 11:00 pm only. Only on December 24, 25 and 26, as well as on January 31, the Christmas lights will shine until 1am.
LED lighting, which consumes less energy, can save up to 30% of energy.
Nevertheless, the spirit will still be there after 3 difficult years. 2019 had in fact marked the end, after an accidental death on one of the Christmas markets. The whole country was in mourning after the accident and the festivities were stopped. The contracts had been cancelled in 2020 and restricted in 2021. This year marks the return of the markets in their traditional form. The City of Luxembourg expects more than 1.2 million visitors for the 2022 Christmas markets.
Where to find the Christmas markets 2022 in Luxembourg?
- The traditional Christmas market is located on the Place d’Armes. The “Lëtzebuerger Chrëschtmaart” has about 30 cottages. You will find handicrafts, Christmas decorations and Luxembourgish culinary specialties. A large tree and a giant nativity scene decorate the square. All the magic of Christmas is present with the musical animations. This market is our favorite.
- The other big market is the “Wantermaart” winter market on Constitution Square. About 40 wooden chalets gather every year under the statue of Gelle Frä. They offer food stalls. Rides and the Ferris wheel with a view of the city are also a delight for young and old.
- The traditional St. Nicholas Market in the station district, the “Niklosmaart”, is back on the Place de Paris. A decorated tree and live music will give the place the colors of the festival. The Saint-Nicolas is waiting for the children in his house.
- The“Winterkids” is also back in the courtyard of the old Athénée . Numerous animations and workshops are waiting for your children for their greatest pleasure.
- The Limperstberg district will not be left out this year with the presence of the “Lëtzebuerger Adventcircus” on the Glacis from December 9 to January 8.
- On the other hand, the 800 m² heated ice rink on the Kinnekswiss in the city park will not be held this year. The “Wanterpark” and its gastronomic village.
More information and the full programme of events on the dedicated website of the City of Luxembourg.
Christmas markets in southern Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette, Escher Krëschtmoart
The city of Esch-sur-Alzette welcomes its visitors to its Advent market as of November 18 on the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville. Animations and concerts are planned from Sunday to Thursday from 12pm to 8pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 12pm to 10pm.
Medieval Christmas in Dudelange
On the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville in Dudelange, about forty small chalets meet every year in an atmosphere worthy of the medieval era. Handicrafts, drinks and typical dishes, animations and shows will be proposed to you: tavern, campfire, storyteller, …
Each day, a nice program is set up to bring to this traditional Christmas market a touch of originality of yesteryear among the exhibitors.
Differdange, the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg
Differdange also proposes its Christmas market with about thirty chalets open from December 2nd to 22nd. Differdange has its own Christmas market since 1977? It is the oldest Christmas market in Luxembourg. Here you can find decorative objects and handicrafts as well as culinary specialties to enjoy with “Glühwein”.
Families also gather for religious celebrations and to enjoy good family meals.