You'll find plenty of restaurants, bars and nightclubs in Luxembourg, even outside the capital. Don't hesitate to go out of town to find good restaurants, gastronomic or themed, or nice bars.
What do I need to know about eating out in Luxembourg?
A wide choice of Luxembourg and international restaurants
Luxembourg's multicultural character means that it offers a wide range of restaurants, both typical of the country and more exotic.
You'll easily find Turkish, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Brazilian, Indian, Portuguese and Italian restaurants, reflecting the population's origins in the 4 corners of the world.
Newcomers to Luxembourg often enjoy discovering this mix of tastes and cultures. This is the time to try out different restaurants, with cuisines of different origins. What's more, given the different languages spoken in Luxembourg, restaurants generally offer menus in several languages.
There are 10 Michelin-starred restaurants in Luxembourg, including 1 2-star restaurant. There are also several top gourmet restaurants.
- Ma Langue Sourit in Moutfort, with two Michelin stars for Chef Cyril Mollard
- La Distillerie at Château de Bourglinster, one Michelin star and Michelin Green Star for the sustainability of Chef René Mathieu's cuisine
- Léa Linster, a star for Chef Léa Linster in her Frisange restaurant
- Pavillon Eden Rose, a star in Kayl
- restaurant Mosconi, one star for this Italian restaurant in Luxembourg's Grund district
- Ryôdô in Luxembourg-Hollerich receives one star for its Japanese cuisine
- La Villa de Camille et Julien, one-star restaurant in Luxembourg's Pulvermuhl district
- Ristorante Fani, one star for this Italian restaurant in Roeser
- Guillou Campagne, one-star restaurant in Schouweiler
- Apdikt, Luxembourg restaurant in Steinfort, first star for Chef Mathieu Van Wetteren in 2024.
Four restaurants have been awarded a BIB gourmand for unbeatable value on a full menu.
- Parc Le'h in Dudelange, in the middle of the forest and right next to the tree-climbing course
- K Restaurant in Huldange
- Mediterranean-influenced bazaar on Place Guillaume, Luxembourg
- Bonifas in Nospelt.
Bib gourmand", this year's holders are the same as in 2023: Parc Le'h, K restaurant, Bazaar and Bonifas.
There are plenty of restaurants specializing in world cuisine, pizzerias and brasseries. You can also go out with the kids or enjoy a nice terrace.
Reservations recommended in Luxembourg restaurants
Want to eat out? Remember to reserve your table in advance! Especially onspecial occasions like Valentine's Day in February .
Good restaurants and nice places are crowded from midday or 7pm onwards, even in villages and communes outside Luxembourg City .
Tipping in Luxembourg restaurants
Gratuities are not expected in Luxembourg restaurants. Service charges are generally included in the bill. However, if you receive exceptional service, you may wish to leave a tip.
Find a restaurant in Luxembourg
You'll easily find addresses of restaurants to eat out at in Luxembourg , whether for lunch or dinner, on specialist websites .
Looking for a restaurant near your home or a particular location? The indispensable Trip Advisor is very useful in Luxembourg.
But the more Luxembourgish website Menu.lu will give you a list of all the restaurants in the vicinity of your desired location and type of cuisine. Thanks to a geolocation system, Menu.lu also informs you of all the restaurants, of all types, located in the vicinity.
This site comes in very handy when you're out for a drink with friends and don't have any ideas of where to eat, or when you want to innovate a little, for greater originality.
Culinary events in Luxembourg
Every year, a number of culinary events are organized in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
RestoDays, gourmet restaurants at low prices
Restodays are among the most eagerly awaited culinary events in Luxembourg every year. For ten days, usually in March and October, partner restaurateurs, including Michelin-starred restaurants, offer gourmet menus at low prices. Register now at www.restodays.lu, to be kept up to date on the event and make your reservations as soon as possible! Places are at a premium.
Expogast in Luxembourg
Every four years, Expogast celebrates the culinary trades. Supported by Villeroy & Boch, the event brings together nearly 8,000 exhibitors from some 50 countries. The Culinary World Cup is also organized in parallel. Competitors' dishes are then served in the gastronomic restaurant. www.expogast.lu
Dinner in the Sky in Luxembourg
Dinner in the sky offers gourmet dining... with your head in the stars! Renowned Luxembourg chefs prepare a menu for twenty or so privileged diners, while enjoying a unique view. www.dinnerinthesky.lu
Euro-Toques annual gala in Luxembourg
Every year, the Euro-Toques association organizes a gala dinner, with all proceeds going to charity. This eagerly-awaited annual rendezvous is an event in its own right, changing every year to reflect the originality of the Euro-Toques. www.eurotoques.lu
Eat it street food festival in Luxembourg
Every year, the Eat it Luxembourg street food festival is a resounding success. Since 2013, the festival has been taking place on the parvis des Rotondes. Numerous food-trucks with a wide range of flavors meet there. www.rotondes.lu. Read our article on the Eat it festival.
Ecobox - Mei lang geneissen
One of the particularities of many restaurants in Luxembourg is that they serve very large portions. Don't hesitate to ask for a half-portion for your children - it's a common practice, and some restaurants even offer it straight away.
And if, despite everything, the plates aren't finished, ask for an Ecobox to take the leftovers back to the restaurant! Participating restaurants can be identified by the green Ecobox logo. By paying a 5 euro deposit, you can take your meal or leftovers home in an attractive green box. You can finish it off at home, or the next day at the office. Once cleaned, you can return the Ecobox to a participating restaurant for your 5 euro deposit, or exchange it for a new, professionally-cleaned Ecobox with a new meal.
Say goodbye to food waste and say hello to recycling: used Ecoboxes are returned to the producer and used to produce new ones!
Drinks and parties in Luxembourg
Would you like to have a drink with friends, afterwork in a lounge bar or listen to a trendy DJ? Would you like to go clubbing, nightclubbing or discobing? Luxembourg has an abundance of bars, clubs and trendy places to go out. Many cross-border commuters also spend their evenings here.
What do you need to know to go out in Luxembourg?
If you are planning a trip to Luxembourg, here are a few things you should know:
- Legal drinking age: the legal drinking age in Luxembourg is 16 for beer and wine, and 18 for spirits and stronger alcohols.
- Public transport, night services: Luxembourg has a reliable public transport system that includes buses and trains. If you're planning to drink, it's best to take public transport to avoid drinking and driving. Night bus services are available.
- Dress code for going out: the dress code varies according to the establishment you are visiting. Some bars and clubs have a dress code, so it's best to check in advance.
- Safety: Luxembourg is generally a safe country, although crime has been on the rise in recent years, especially in the areas around the railway station. So it's important to take precautions when going out at night. Stay in well-lit areas, avoid walking alone and keep an eye on your belongings.
- Smoking in public areas: smoking is prohibited in all indoor public areas, including bars and restaurants.
- Bar opening hours: bars and clubs in Luxembourg City are generally open until the early hours of the morning, but opening hours may vary depending on the establishment.
- Price: Luxembourg is known as an expensive country, and this also applies to nightlife. Drinks and entertainment can be expensive, so it's best to budget accordingly.
Where to go out in Luxembourg?
The best-known places to go out at night in Luxembourg City are the Gare, Grund and Rives de Clausen districts. The city center also offers a renowned nightlife scene, with a wide choice of bars, restaurants and clubs.
Nevertheless, you're sure to find other places, further afield, that offer lively, trendy bars for partying. Ask around among your work colleagues or expat networks - everyone will have their own favorite spot to recommend!
Search for a bar or a party in a Luxembourg bar
The application The Bar Corner app offers users bars and events to suit their tastes. It's the first of its kind in Luxembourg:
- search based on location and your current mood: fancy a hot chocolate as you get off the train?
- exclusive user-only offers! By downloading the application, users can take advantage of special offers from the following bars
- a single platform for a multitude of events: no more multi-site searches.
- discover new bars near you.
Going out in Luxembourg
Use the SoLux app to find events, ideas for outings and good deals in Luxembourg and the surrounding area. The app is totally free and designed to be simple and fun .
It is accessible to all. It is aimed at all Luxembourg residents, but also at newcomers and tourists looking for good tips and ideas for outings.
For each event, the date, location and full description are provided. There's also an integrated interactive map that works with Apple and Google Maps, enabling the user to go directly to the event location. Last but not least, users can bookmark their favorite outing ideas and easily share them with friends, family and colleagues.
Take advantage of the night buses available to night owls
For customers of cafés, restaurants, theaters, cinemas, pubs, clubs and discos... and to make the most of your evening, without worrying about where to park your car, there are free night buses that will take you home, even after a bit of a night out!
Getting around safely? It's possible with the various night buses and shuttles on offer: nightriders, nightbus and City Night Bus.