Energy performance certificate CPE

All real estate transactions in Luxembourg require the production of an Energy Performance Certificate (CPE) or energy passport attesting to the energy quality of a property.

In case of sale of a dwelling, the seller must provide the buyer with an energy passport proving its energy performance.

When is an EPC mandatory?

The Energy Performance Certificate is mandatory since the Grand-Ducal regulation of November 30, 2007. It is required for the sale, transformation, extension or construction of a dwelling. Even in the case of rental, the owner must provide the Energy Performance Certificate to his tenant.

The EPC is valid for 10 years and is transferred from owner to owner.

In the event of renovation and improvement work affecting the energy performance of the building, it is nevertheless advisable to carry out a new energy passport which will be very useful in the event of resale of the property. The value of your property depends on it.
The PBS is for information purposes only. Regardless of the calculated energy performance of a building, there is no obligation to renovate the property to improve its energy performance. Nevertheless, the Luxembourg government provides financial aid for home renovation, particularly for energy efficiency improvements.

The EPC calculates the energy performance of a building

The Energy Performance Certificate is more commonly known as an energy passport. Carried out by certified professionals, the EPC defines the energy consumption of a building or home according to very precise standards. Established on 5 pages, it determines 3 main elements:

  • the primary energy expenditure index calculated by the energy performance class
  • the thermal insulation class corresponding to the heating requirement index of the house
  • CO2 emissions as reflected by the energy performance class.

Each classification is graded from A to I.

The A grade is the best grade and corresponds to the so-called passive houses, the B grade is the grade given to low-energy houses and the C grade to energy-efficient houses. Class I is the lowest class.

Since 2017, all new construction in Luxembourg must meet a AAA rating.

Carry out an energy passport

You can evaluate the performance of your home using tools available on the web. However, these evaluations cannot constitute the official documents requested during real estate transactions. You will find the list of approved professionals on who can carry out an Energy Performance Certificate for your home.

You want to sell your property? How do you do it?