Admissions and hospital visits
Luxembourg hospital services are of good quality. See the study on emergencies in Luxembourg.
Admission to the hospital
You can go to the hospital whether for a medical examination, a scheduled hospitalization or for an emergency. For your admission to the hospital, you will have to present yourself at the reception with a passport or an identity card, a proof of your health insurance and will be required to pay a fixed daily contribution, not reimbursed by the CNS.
In case of non-affiliation to a health insurance, you will be asked to pay a deposit.
The admission of a minor requires the authorization of the person in charge of the parental authority. See hospitals for children.
In case of an emergency, these administrative procedures may be completed later.
Hospital care payment and reimbursement
In the case of outpatient care, the care will be paid directly by the patient at the exit of the hospital or by payment on invoice sent at home. The patient will then have to send his request for reimbursement to the health insurance fund.
In the event of hospitalisation, the accommodation costs are in principle paid by the CNS (third party payer), except for daily contributions for those over 18 years of age, which will be paid directly by the insured.
Please note that 1st class supplements are not covered by health insurance. The insured must then have taken out supplementary health insurance in advance.
Visit of a patient to hospital, clinic or maternity
Visiting hours are strictly defined to allow patients to rest and caregivers to do their work. Generally visits are allowed afternoons only. Check directly with the hospital.
Where to be cured in Luxembourg ?
Here is the list of hospitals, clinics, maternity homes and medical centers in Luxembourg.
There are two major hospital groups in the town of Luxembourg:
- The Robert Schuman Foundation brings together the hospitals and clinics of the Kirchberg Hospital for the treatment of emergencies and multidisciplinary medical services, the Bohler maternity clinic and mother-child medical center, the ZithaKlinik multidisciplinary hospital center and the Clinique Sainte Marie in Esch- sur-Alzette for geriatrics.
- the Luxembourg Hospital Center CHL which includes the following institutions: Municipal Hospital and Kannerklinik for the treatment of emergencies and multidisciplinary care centers, the Eich Clinic and the Grande-Duchesse Charlotte Maternity Hospital.
You will also find the Center Hospitalier du Nord and the Hospital Center South Emile Mayrisch (CHEM), both multidisciplinary and dealing with emergencies. The Réhaklinik in Ettelbruck for the treatment of mental illnesses and the Réhazenter for treatment and rehabilitation of injured people.
Center for pregnant women: Initiativ Liewensufank
Centre for pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting centre. Consultation centre for new and expectant parents. Institute for the improvement of the conditions of childbirth. Information and free consultation (by telephone or email) for all questions regarding pregnancy, giving birth, breast feeding, life with your baby, etc. Information and advice from professionals.
www.liewensufank.lu +352 36 05 97
During week-ends and on bank holidays, you can go to a medical center when you need some medical advice.
There are 3 medical houses on duty:
- Luxembourg-ville 59, Rue Michel Welter, L-2730 Luxembourg.
- Esch/Alzette 70, rue Émile Mayrisch, L-4240 Esch/Alzette.
- Ettelbruck 110, avenue Lucien Salentiny, L-9080 Ettelbruck.
In the event of a medical emergency, please always call 112 directly. After midnight, il is mandatory to first call 112 too.