The administrative installation in Luxembourg

Are you planning to move to the Grand Duchy or simply change your place of residence? We provide you with useful advice on how to best prepare your move and move into your new home with complete peace of mind!

Cancel or transfer your contracts

Before moving, it is essential to cancel or transfer subscriptions and supply contracts related to the former place of residence, such as gas, electricity and water supply subscriptions or subscriptions with telephone operators.

It is advisable to contact directly the dedicated department of the company providing the service or, failing that, the customer service department. Information relating to the termination or transfer of contracts will thus be communicated.

Registration in schools

Schooling in the same school

If your child remains in the same school after the move, parents must inform the school of the new address.

Schooling in a new school

In Luxembourg, the enrolment of a child in a public school depends on the place of residence of the parents. This is known as the “ressort scolaire”. If the move involves changing the child’s school, it is important to enrol the child quickly in the new school.

However, if the parents move during the school year, the child is not obliged to change schools, despite the school jurisdiction. In fact, the child can complete the school year in the same school. However, parents must make a written request.

Find out more about the Luxembourg school system

Schooling of a newly arrived foreign child

  • Education Department, Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth

The Education Service (SDE) is responsible for the schooling of foreign children. It welcomes foreign parents and their children and collects all the data necessary for their enrolment.

After studying the pupil’s file, the SDE provisionally enrols the child in a class corresponding to his or her age. The child’s previous background and language skills are taken into account.

The pupil then takes a test within a maximum period of two weeks to assess his or her competence in mathematics and first language. The child’s previous examinations are also taken into account. Once these assessments have been made, the SDE develops an individualized training project. This project, as well as the test results, are then presented to the parents by the pedagogical team. Only then is the child integrated into the school system on a permanent basis. A tutor is assigned to the child.

  • School reception unit for newcomer students

The School Reception Unit for Newly Arrived Pupils (CASNA) is aimed at young people between 12 and 17 years of age arriving from abroad and wishing to continue their studies in Luxembourg’s post-primary education system. Objective: to facilitate their integration.

The Unit’s role is to inform these young people about the Luxembourg school system and the support measures provided for foreign-language children.

Informing the company

When moving house, it is imperative to inform your employer. The new address must therefore be communicated to the company as soon as possible.

The tax withholding slip – for resident employees and pensioners – is then updated directly by the Direct Tax Administration (DTA).

Requesting Extraordinary Leave

An employee who relocates is entitled to request exceptional leave for personal reasons. This is two days. The employee remains paid during this period.

To make this request, the employee must submit a supporting document to the employer. This can be a tenancy agreement, a change of residence certificate, etc. The leave can only be taken at the time of the move. Leave not taken is lost. Moreover, it cannot give rise to financial compensation.

Note that moving leave is now limited to once every three years. However, an exception is made in the case of relocation for professional reasons.

Mail tracking

When moving, it is important to keep track of the mail to prevent mail from landing in the mailbox of the new occupant of the dwelling.

To have your mail redirected, it is necessary to contact the Administration des P&T Luxembourg. There are three possibilities:

  • Either directly online,
  • Or by going to a post office,
  • Either by contacting the postman directly, by filling out a form.

Beware! It is important to carry out the steps at the latest three working days before the desired date of the beginning of the forwarding of the mail.

Mail forwarding can be requested during the desired period. This can be from a minimum of seven days to a maximum of one year. However, this service does not apply to parcels.

The forwarding of newspapers is free of charge. However, it is strongly recommended that you contact the publisher directly in order to send them the new address.

This can be done for a national move or a move from Luxembourg to another country. For moves from abroad to Luxembourg, it is necessary to make a request directly to the post office in the country of departure.

When subscribing to this service, the post office offers postcards to inform its correspondents of the change of address. There is no need to put postage on them.

Preparing for the move

Moving service

In Luxembourg, there are many removal companies. Among them, Déménagements Nadin, Team relocations, Vaglio déménagement, Tranelux or Wagner frères.

These companies generally take care of packing material, packing, dismantling and reassembly as well as administrative formalities. Most of them take care of a move whether it is in Luxembourg or abroad.

The companies’ websites allow you to obtain free estimates.

Renting a van

Rather than using movers, it is possible to rent a van to take care of the move yourself.

There are many car rental agencies in Luxembourg. These include Ada, Intralux, Vicente, Autorent and Stroll trucks.

Request for occupation of the public highway

In order to facilitate the move, it is possible to apply for occupation of the public road.
Applications for permission to occupy public roads in the capital can be made directly on the Internet of VDL for the City of Luxembourg.

This request must be made in advance. Please note that there is a charge for this. The rate depends on the machines and the sector.

If the applicant does not comply with the conditions of the permit, the City of Luxembourg is entitled to withdraw the permit. This withdrawal then takes effect immediately. No reimbursement or compensation can be granted.

The application for authorisation must be submitted to the Traffic Department at least five working days before the date of the move.

No parking signs must be posted at least 24 hours before the permit is issued.

Residents of other cities in the country are invited to contact their local transport department directly.

Steps after moving in

The declaration of arrival in the commune

Anyone moving to Luxembourg must imperatively declare their arrival to the commune. He or she thus has a period of eight days from his or her arrival on the territory.

Please note! This period is shortened to three days for people who are not citizens of the European Union.

Trash bins

Selective sorting is relatively well developed in Luxembourg. When moving in, it is advisable to find out about the different sorting bins. It is generally possible to request specific bags from the commune’s hygiene service.

The car

When moving, the owner of a vehicle must have his or her new address entered on Part I of the registration certificate. He then has a period of one month.

This change of address is done by the SNCA. This procedure is free of charge if the owner’s address is listed in the national directory of natural and legal persons. Otherwise, the person must provide proof of legal status in Luxembourg in order to proceed with the registration.

See the formalities related to the vehicle


In order to be able to park on the street, a specific parking sticker must be requested from your local authority. This allows you to park free of charge in the area where you live.


Dogs must be declared by their owner to the local administration of their residence. They must therefore present a veterinary certificate and an insurance contract from a company approved – or, failing that, authorised – in Luxembourg.

The identity card

In the event of a change of address, Luxembourgers must renew their identity card. The information concerning the address must be updated.


Easter traditions in Luxembourg

Easter traditions in Luxembourg

Spring break is coming up… Even if they are special this year because of the Covid-19 pandemic, it is nevertheless the occasion to remind what the traditional Easter holidays are and what they represent in Luxembourg. Easter is celebrated this...

Summer job in Luxembourg, who and how much?

Summer job in Luxembourg, who and how much?

Are you between 15 and 27, studying in Luxembourg or even abroad? Then you have the opportunity to apply for a summer job in Luxembourg for a maximum of 2 months. Jobs for students and under-18s are common in Luxembourg. The communes themselves...