With its latest remuneration study, Hays.lu Recruiting experts provides an overview of the recruiting sectors of activity in Luxembourg, the profiles sought and the remuneration scales according to the candidate’s experience and skills. Just Arrived gives you an overview here.
Architecture and construction
The construction sector is a very active and dynamic sector in Luxembourg. Just look up and you will see the impressive number of cranes and construction sites along the roads, in the different districts of the City of Luxembourg (not to mention the Cloche d’Or) or outside such as the Belval sector. Residential or office real estate, demand is exploding, still not covered by supply despite many projects in progress or being completed (see real estate market). There are also many infrastructure projects to adapt transport facilities to population growth. The Electrical and HVAC engineering sector also provides offers and attracts young graduates from neighbouring countries.
Project Managers, bilingual French-German profiles, even fluent in Luxembourgish, and experienced profiles are the most in demand. However, a lack of resources, or even an overbidding of salaries, gives candidates the upper-hand. A new cross-functional function is emerging, Building Information Modeling or Management, to facilitate construction projects.
The salary ranges in the field of architecture range from 30,000 to 110,000 euros gross in 2018:
- 30,000 euros for a draftsman without experience to 42,000 beyond 8 years of experience, 28,000 to 38,000 for interior design projects
- 30,0000 to 50,000 euros for an urban planner depending on his level of experience
- 35,000 to 65,000 euros for an architect (28,000 to 45,000 euros for an interior designer) and up to 75,000 euros for an experienced project manager (50,000 euros for an interior design project manager)
- up to 110,000 euros per year for an Agency manager
- a BIM coordinator is paid from 40,000 euros per year and a BIM Manager from 50,000 euros per year.
In the construction sector, salaries start at 28,000 euros per year for site manager positions with less than 3 years’ experience. But salaries can climb up to 100,000 euros and more, for positions of experienced Construction Managers (95,000 euros maximum for indoor work). The salary ranges in 2018 are as follows:
- Methods engineer, 32,000 to 80,000 euros per year depending on experience
- Works manager from 30,0000 to 65,000 euros for a position in the structural work and 50,000 maximum for the secondary work
- Engineers/Project managers from 50,000 to more than 75,000 euros
- Operations manager from 90,000 to more than 150,000 euros
- Design engineer between 36,000 and 65,000 euros per year
- Chargé d’affaires in Electrical or thermal engineering from 32,000 to 73,000 euros.
The industrial sector is an investment sector in Luxembourg with the creation of new production units and the optimisation of existing plants. Wages remained relatively stable, except for shortage profiles such as engineers and automation technicians. Here again, multilingual profiles are in demand, especially in German.
- An experienced industrial site manager may be paid up to 140,000 euros per year, or even 180,000 euros in certain sectors such as the automotive or food industry;
- Quality manager up to 110,000 euros of remuneration;
- R&D engineer, salary from 60,000 euros when starting out, up to 120,000 euros as an experienced R&D manager;
- 42,000 euros production manager starting at 110,000 euros with experience in large production sites;
- Maintenance technician from 28,000 euros to 50,000 euros.
PA and secretarial
In PA & secretarial sector, multilingual profiles with good technical skills are sought, especially if the candidate has experience in the sector concerned. The candidate must also share the company’s values and show an appropriate level of interpersonal skills. Even if salaries have not evolved in this field, best profiles are sought and necessarily valued in terms of remuneration.
The salary ranges range from 29,0000 euros to 60,000 euros depending on the profile and skills:
- Executive Assistant: bilingual profile from 31,000 euros per year to 50,000 euros, multilingual profile from 31,000 to 60,000 euros;
- Office Assistant: bilingual profile from 30 to 48,000 euros per year (46,000 for a personal assistant) and from 31 to 55,000 euros for a multilingual profile;
- Bilingual specialist assistant from 29,000 to 45,000 euros for a sales assistant, and up to 50,000 euros for a legal assistant. Here again, multilingual profiles receive a higher remuneration of around 2,000 euros;
- Support functions such as receptionist or bilingual administrative assistant from 29,000 to 38,000, with an additional bonus of 2,000 euros in a multilingual profile.
Sales and marketing
In the commercial field, companies are mainly looking for multilingual profiles, especially German-speaking ones (Germany being one of the main trading countries with Luxembourg). Mobility and technical knowledge, especially IT skills, are valued, as this sector is expanding rapidly in Luxembourg. Remuneration is based on a variable salary. 3 out of 4 companies provide a company car.
- industry: salaries start at 30,000 euros for a junior customer adviser or marketing coordinator, 35,000 for a sales engineer and 40,000 for a sales manager. The high ranges of the experienced profiles of 8 years and more, range from 45,000 for customer advisors to 85,000 euros for a technical sales engineer, 90,000 for a sales manager and 120,000 euros for a sales manager;
- construction: a sedentary sales representative can expect to earn between 30,000 and 45,000 euros depending on his level of experience, while a mobile technical sales representative will be paid between 35 and 65,000 euros if he is experienced. The salary of a sales manager may increase to 90,000 euros if he is experienced;
- IT sector: salaries start here at 35,000 for an account manager or a marketing manager with a junior profile and can go up to 100,000 euros for an experienced profile, or even 150,000 euros for a sales manager;
- automotive sector: if salaries start here at 32 or 35,000 euros per year for a beginner, they rise to 80,000 euros for a fleet manager, or even 110,000 euros for a sales manager;
- real estate: if a junior real estate agent is paid from 30,000 euros when he starts, he can earn up to 110,000 euros per year after 8 years of experience, or even 140,000 euros if he is a sales manager.
Supply chain, purchases and logistics
Whether for road, inland waterway or air transport, Luxembourg is growing in the field of logistics, or even e-logistics and e-commerce. While salaries remain stable in this area, multilingual profiles (French, German and English) clearly have a place in customer-supplier relations.
- Purchasing area: project buyer between 37 and 80,000 euros per year, purchasing manager 46 to 90,000 euros and purchasing director from 81 to 140,000 euros per year;
- Supply chain, logistics and transport: transit agent and team leader between 28 and 41,000 euros per year, operating manager for the distribution sector between 39 and 55,000 euros, procurement manager between 39 and 75,000 euros, supply chain manager up to 111,000 euros per year.
Finance and accoutancy
Since 2016, the finance and accounting sector has been rising in Luxembourg. More and more multinationals are establishing their headquarters in Luxembourg, which should be further accentuated with the Brexit effect. Jobs are continuously being created in the fields of accounting, management control and treasury. However, remuneration has increased slightly, companies favouring other forms of remuneration such as social packages, healthcare covers or pension plans, meal vouchers or company cars.
- Management functions: for profiles with less than 3 years’ experience, salaries start at 50,000 euros per year for a chief accountant and a credit manager, 65,000 euros for an accounting director or 75,000 for a financial or internal audit director. Experienced profiles are remunerated at more than 80,000 euros for a credit manager, more than 95,000 for an accounting director, more than 110,000 euros for an administrative and financial manager and more than 120,000 euros for an experienced financial or internal audit director.
- Operational functions: salaries start here for profiles with less than 3 years’ experience at 27,000 euros per year for an assistant accountant, 35,000 for an internal auditor, 40,000 for a management controller or 50,000 for a financial controller. With more than 8 years of experience, salaries rise to 45,000 euros for an accounting assistant, 85,000 euros for an accountant, 110,000 for a financial controller.
Luxembourg is a leader in the field of investment funds and the leading investment centre in the European Union, attracting the major international financial institutions. Although recruitment volumes have declined since 2016, compliance and regulatory requirements have resulted in increased remuneration. There are still many job opportunities.
- Insurance sector: lawyer and AML analyst from 32 to 90,000 euros monthly, Compliance Officer / analyst and Risk Manager up to 150,000 euros annually;
- Banks and management companies: corporate actions officer from 35 to 70,000 euros, legal officer from 32 to 120,000 euros annually, paralegal from 30 to 70,000, compliance agent up to 130,000 euros, conducting officer up to 150,000 euros.
IT sector and telecoms
The IT sector is a rapidly growing sector in Luxembourg due to the relocation of IT services to the Grand Duchy and the investments made by the government in this area. Fintechs are the backbone of many start-ups. Due to a lack of qualified candidates, salaries are rising but are expected to stabilize in the medium term with the introduction of IT training at the University of Luxembourg.
- Studies and development: salaries range from 32,000 euros per year for a novice developer/programmer to 115,000 euros for a software architect or a senior functional project manager;
- Service and networks: a technical assistance service or an operations analyst can expect to earn from 27,000 to 47,000 euros depending on the level of experience, a systems and networks administrator from 30 to 58,000 euros, a systems and networks engineer from 30 to 67,000 euros, or even 72,000 for a production engineer. An experienced IT Project Manager will see his remuneration increase to 90,000 euros annually, an IT manager to 110,000 euros, an IT architect to 115,000 euros and an Information Systems Director with more than 8 years of experience can be paid up to 250,000 euros;
- Big Data, Business Intelligence and ERP: here the remuneration ranges from 32,000 euros in the low range for a novice BI developer (85,000 euros if confirmed) to 95,000 euros for a confirmed Data scientist and 110,000 for an ERP Project Manager;
- Telecoms: a maintenance technician starting his career at 25,000 euros per year, a network project manager or a network engineer can expect 75,000 euros per year if they are confirmed, a network architect 80,000 euros.
The HR function is evolving with the digitalization and uberization of the market. Companies are looking for profiles that can support them in change and transition. Generalist HR profiles are sought in medium-sized companies, and must be able of managing both recruitment and training functions, as well as payroll and personnel administration services. If salaries do not change much, the packages offered are more substantial with insurance, company cars, restaurant vouchers, etc…
- HR Assistant earns from 28,000 to 50,000 euros annually depending on experience level, HR Manager from 35,000 to 65,000 euros monthly depending on experience;
- Confirmed recruitment manager up to 90,000 euros per year;
- Training manager up to 80,000 euros in confirmed mode;
- Payroll manager from 28,000 to 70,000 euros yearly, Payroll manager up to 90,000 euros;
- HR Manager up to 90,000 euros, HR Manager up to 130,000 euros per year.
Tax and legal
Due to its central location in the heart of Europe and its economic situation, Luxembourg attracts companies. Today, new law firms are appearing on the market, looking for legal profiles capable of managing international relations and links with the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier.
- Law firms: remuneration from 36 to 120,000 euros for a lawyer, 32 to 80,000 euros for a legal assistant, senior partner up to 100,000 euros, pertner 150,000 euros;
- Fiduciary firms: remuneration from 30 to 80,000 euros for a secretary, 30 to 110,000 for a legal officer, up to 130,00 euros for a tax advisor and 150,000 for a head of legal.
More and more companies are using external resources and freelancers to answer topics such as Big Data, Block Chain or Cyber-Security, among others. The avergae daily rates recorded plus VAT are in the following ranges:
- Application and technical: from 440 euros HT/day for a beginner tester and 650 euros HT for an experienced tester, 600 euros for a technical architect with less than 3 years’ experience to 900 euros if he is experienced. Experienced technical project managers can be paid 970 euros/day;
- Technical infrastructure: the rates are set here in a range equivalent to 320 euros HT/day for a technical assistance service starting at 540 euros for a confirmed service and from 530 euros HT/day to 800 euros HT/day for a security engineer. An experienced technical architect can request 850 euros HT/day;
- Transversal and functional support: here the rates are 690 euros for an MOA analyst with 3 to 5 years of experience at 900 euros per day more than 8 years of experience, project manager 800 to 1,050 euros per day depending on experience, project manager 900 to 1,350 euros, cyber security consultant 790 to 1,190 euros, IT auditor 790 to 1,210 euros, consulting and strategy consultant 900 to 1,450 euros, interim manager 1,250 to 1,600 euros HT per day;
- Accounting and financial support: the daily rates here range from 630 to 890 euros excluding VAT/day for an accountant, 680 to 900 euros for a financial controller, 800 to 1,100 for a project manager, 890 to 1,300 for a risk manager, 990 to 1,500 euros excluding VAT/day for an internal auditor or a tax consultant.
Are you between 15 and 27, studying in Luxembourg or even abroad? Then you have the opportunity to apply for a summer job in Luxembourg for a maximum of 2 months. Jobs for students and under-18s are common in Luxembourg. The communes themselves...
On January 6th in Luxembourg and in many other countries, you can taste the traditional king cake to celebrate Epiphany or Dräikinneksdag (Three Kings Day) in luxembourgish. Epiphany is a Christian celebration that takes place every year after...
In Luxembourg, Saint Nicholas Day is traditionally very important for all the country’s children. Luxembourgish pupils don't go to school and theyreceive gifts from “De Kleeschen”. Saint Nicholas, the traditional children’s festival in...