Many hypermarkets exist in Luxembourg to do your shopping the easiest and the most practical way, as a complement to convenience stores and other food stores.
One thing the expatriates recently arrived in Luxembourg are often amazed by is the capacity of the staff in supermarkets to master several languages and to switch easily from Luxembourgish to French, German, English or Portuguese! You will also be able to hear all the languages throughout the departments depending on the families you will cross paths with! Let’s not forget Luxembourg is a multilingual country.
Hypermarkets and supermarkets are often located in shopping malls which will also allow you to do your shopping, even to have something to eat.
What can be found in supermarkets / hypermarkets?
In the shelves of hypermarkets and supermarkets you can find all food and fresh products, such as fruit and vegetables in the market garden section, meat in the butcher’s section, fish in the fishmonger’s section, but also a delicatessen section, a cheese dairy, a bakery/pastry shop, …. You can even find many exotic food products or products from your country of origin.
The numerous departments also offer you all the cleaning and maintenance products, hygiene and beauty, leisure articles such as books, CDs, DVDs, toys, gardening, sports, … with a large selection.
Clothes lines will allow you to dress at a lower price compared to other stores. Don’t be surprised to find some famous brands.
Find out more about household budgets in Luxembourg.
Which supermarket chains?
Every supermarket has its own particularity. Among the specificities, the following supermarkets are open on Sundays: Cactus, Lidl, Delhaize, Aldi, Smatch and Match, Pall Center (open 7 days a week), …
The following brands have a home delivery service or offer a drive service allowing you to do your shopping on the internet and then pick it up: Auchan, Naturata, Luxcaddy, Cora, Colruyt…
Hypermarkets are often located in shopping centers.
- Auchan: this French supermarket brand is very present in Luxembourg through its emblematic locations in the Cloche d’Or, Kirchberg and Differdange shopping centres. A drive service is also offered. Find out more about Auchan supermarkets.
- Delhaize : Belgian supermarkets established in Luxembourg under different banners in nearly 30 points of sale: Delhaize, AD, Proxy, Shop & Go, Knauf. The motto of the Delhaize stores is “Buying well / Eating well”. You can find Delhaize Supermarkets in Walfer Shopping Center in Walferdange and Belval Plaza Shopping Center in Esch-sur-Alzette.
- Cora: this French brand is present in Luxembourg, along with its Match and Smatch convenience stores. Coradrive allows you to shop online with a collection point in Foetz or Messancy (Belgian border). Cora stores are located in Foetz and City Concorde in Betrange
- Cactus: a Luxembourg supermarket and shop chain. The Cactus group is divided into several concepts with hypermarkets, supermarkets, Cactus Marché minimarkets, Cactus Shoppi grocery stores, Cactus Hobbi (DIY, decoration, multimedia, etc.), and Cactus Restaurants with, among others, the catering service with “De Schnékert”. Since November 2019, Cactus supermarkets have been offering AIDS self-tests. Cactus can be found Nordstrooss Shopping Mile Marnach open every sunday, and in the following shopping centers: commercial zone Howald, rue des Scillas and Shopping center Belle-Etoile in Bertrange.
- Colruyt: the Belgian brand offers interesting wholesale prices. Colruyt guarantees the best prices and will refund the difference if you find cheaper elsewhere. The Collect and Go service allows you to order online and then collect your purchases. There are three collection points: Gasperich, Mersch and Sanem.
- Aldi: food and everyday consumer products at discount prices. Multiple addresses, see on the website. Renmans butcher’s shops nearby, where you can buy quality meat at reasonable prices.
- Lidl: discount food supermarkets that also offer many Luxembourg and Portuguese products.
- Naturata: Naturata Luxembourg is a network of 11 outlets selling products exclusively from organic farming and often bearing the Demeter label, organic and biodynamic products supplied by BIOGROS. The Munsbach site offers a bio-restaurant open from the morning for organic gourmet breakfasts or lunches made from organic products. Take-away service.
- Luxcaddy is an online supermarket that delivers free of charge throughout the territory.
- Action: distributor of non-food products at discounted prices