Compulsory insurances in Luxembourg

Assurances Luxembourg

When you arrive in a new country, it is not always easy to know which insurances to subscribe to in order to protect at best your properties and your relatives.
To guide you better on this matter, Just Arrived informs you so that you know which insurances you should subscribe to when arriving in Luxembourg.

Upon your arrival in Luxembourg, think of subscribing to the following compulsory insurances:

The public liability insurance

The public liability insurance covers the policyholder, his/her spouse and his/her non-married children living with him/her and indemnifies the damage caused to third parties by incorrect actions. This insurance covers the policyholder and his/her assignees as a private person, pedestrian, cyclist, sportsman, head of the family, house inhabitant, owner or responsible of pets, owner or user of household and gardening devices.
Thanks to this insurance, all the non-married people having no proper accommodation and living with the policyholder are insured free of charge.
It also covers possible accidents caused by snow or freezing in front of your home. Remember that it is your responsibility to clear your sidewalk areas.

The house insurance

This type of house insurance, declined under several more or less complete and modern offers according to insurance companies, always guarantees a compensation for the basic risks: fire, water damage, thefts, glass damage, storms and hail.

However, the tenant and the owner absolutely have to take a guarantee, that covers not only the house or the apartment, but also a range of secondary risks concerning both the furniture and the personal effects.

Nowadays, a house insurance can offer a compensation in case of vandalism, of terrorism or sabotage, but also in case of earthquake, graffiti, theft of garden furniture or technological objects and even in case of damages caused by the backflow of waste water and streaming of rainwater. Its compensation range is thus very wide and protects you against numerous daily domestic damages, which is why it is essential.

  • Tenants insurance: as a tenant or roommate, you are supposed to take a tenants insurance to cover the house, the apartment as well as the appendices, but also the furniture and your personal possessions against the fire risks, water damage, thefts, glass damage and storms. Remember that in Luxembourg the value of the kitchen is included in the valuation of your insurance contract. Consider including it when valuing the amount of insurance!
  • Owner insurance: that you live in your own house or that you propose it rented, you have to sign a house insurance covering all the risks damage, fire…

AXA insurance contracts in LuxembourgAlready have an home insurance contract to insure your residence and your properties? We would advise you to consult attentively your house insurance contract to ensure that you are well protected. It can even be interesting to compare guarantees offered on your contract with other offers on the market. Certain companies plan an organisation of the emergency interventions connected to your house: water damage, blocked pipes, power failure, broken window, damaged roof, heating breakdown, immediate securing by a professional in case of intrusion, etc.
They take care of finding the right company to solve your problem!

For your information, a smoke detector must be installed in your home. You can collect a smoke detector free of charge from your municipality or the Ministry of the Interior upon presentation of a letter received by each household. Any additional information on the website

Car insurance

Holding a vehicle in Luxembourg requires a number of administrative obligations. Among others, every vehicle must, according to the Luxembourg law, be insured with a public liability insurance that covers the physical and material damages caused to third parties.
A complete car insurance besides plans legal protection guarantees, fire, theft, broken glass and properties damage as well as the driver guarantee section. Your vehicle must be registered locally. Generally, after a 3-month period, your country of origin insurance will not want to insure you any more.

Even if the public transportation is enormously used in Luxembourg, numerous workers and residents have their own car. Signing a “complete” car insurance is then essential and compulsory.

The latter covers the “car civil liability” and the “legal protection”, the fire risks, thefts, glass damage, accidental or caused by a third party property damage… An “any risks” insurance, also called Casco, covers you in a really complete way on a daily basis, and it is thus deeply recommended because it is safer than an average “car civil liability” insurance.

The accident insurance

To protect yourself besides your car, the “accident insurance” is also strongly advised. Not compulsory, it plans compensations when the assured(insured) person dies or is a victim of an accident but also covers you on a daily basis, in case of hospitalisation, of work disablement, sports accidents… The best advice we can give you? Make sure that this insurance is general, and not limited to certain categories of risks.

Consult insurance companies established in Luxembourg to make your choice.