Which higher education in Luxembourg?
Higher education in Luxembourg follows secondary, classical or technical education.
Luxemburgish students have the choice between continuing their higher education in Luxembourg or going to study in other countries. We will study here the first case.
It should be known that higher education is very recent in Luxembourg, since the university offer really exists only since the beginning of the 2000s with the creation in 2003 of the University of Luxembourg. Previously, students moved abroad mainly to neighboring countries like France, Germany or Belgium, to find higher education.
Higher education in Luxembourg is now a priority for the Luxembourgish government, which provides the University of Luxembourg with all the necessary means to develop.
In addition to the University of Luxembourg and Sacred Heart University Luxembourg, Jack Welch College of Business, there are also BTS (Technician Superior) courses offered by Technical High Schools over 2 years. This is particularly the case of:
- Technical High School of Arts and Crafts (LTAM)
- Josy Barthel High School (LJBM)
- Technical High School School of Business and Management (LTECG)
- Technical High School for Health Professions (LTPS).
Since 2013, the Lycée classique d’Echternach offers, in partnership with the Lycée Georges de la Tour in Metz, a preparatory class for the Grandes Écoles de Commerce in France.
Where to study in Luxembourg?
The offer in higher education in Luxembourg is quite narrow, even if it is developping over the last few years. Many students go abroad in neighboring countries to follow higher education. Find below shools and universities in Luxembourg.
Financial support for higher education
Since 2000, the Luxembourg government wants to enable its residents to carry out higher education whether in Luxembourg or abroad. Scholarships and loans to finance his studies can thus be granted on request.
You are a higher education full-time or part-time student in Luxembourg or another European country and will you obtain a diploma, a rank or a title of higher education at the end of these studies? Then you are eligible for a scholarship. Whether you are residing in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, a child of border worker in Luxembourg, or a border worker yourself, this financial support for your higher education is paid every semester
Please note that requests must be made every semester for the following semester: i.e. between August 1st and November 30th for the winter semester and between January 1st and April 30th for the summer semester. Apply for state support for higher education.
Eligible non-resident students (see above) must apply in their country of residence to the competent authorities.
Amount of financial assistance for higher education
- Student grant: 1,000 euros per semester until 31 July 2019, €1,025 thereafter;
- Additional grant obtained according to income criteria: up to 1,900 euros for the 2018-2019 school year. This amount will be increased to 1,947.50 euros as from the 2019-2020 school year;
- Mobility grant for students registered outside their country of residence: 1,225 euros until 31 July 2019 then 1,255.62 euros;
- Family grant according to the pre-existence of financial support: 500 euros per school year for the 2018-2019 school year, then 512.50 euros
Calculate now the amount of scholarship you can claim using our online simulator