The Valley of the Seven Castles in Luxembourg will bring you to see 7 impressive and very different castles, witnesses of the history of Luxembourg. The Valley of Seven Castles has many impressive buildings, some of which have been fully restored. Some may be visited, others will be seen from outside.
The seven castles are located in Koerich, Septfontaines, Ansemburg, Hollenfels, Schoenfels and Mersch.
- Hollenfels and its 11th century castle, today a youth activity centre with a youth hostel nearby
- Ansembourg and its 2 castles: the Baroque style Grand Château dating fromback to the 17th century with a French garden that can be visited when the castle is not occupied. The 12th century Old Castle is a private property and visible from the town only
- Koerich and his impressive 13th century dungeon in ruins
- Mersch and its castle dating back to the 13th century
- Septfontaines overlooking the village and inaccessible
- Schoenfels and its feudal castle dating back to the 15th century. Today only the dungeon remains.
The 7 castles can be the object of a 24-km road trip in very beautiful landscapes. Possibility to follow the pedestrian or cycle path along the Eisch Valley (37 km) for a beautiful hike. The Eisch Valley was once a steel production site. You can still find caves in which lived families of minors. The Eisch Valley is today a protected natural area.