The Moselle Valley, “Miselerland”, is a beautiful region. She can be visited on foot or by car for those in a hurry, by boat or by bike, … Whatever the season, it is a region that deserves a visit. In spring or fall, you will be charmed!
The Moselle Valley is located about 20 km from the capital of Luxembourg.
In September, this wine region celebrates the end of the harvest with the traditional “Hunnefeier”. On this occasion, the city of Schengen welcomes many stands of second-hand goods, wine tasting or local gastronomy. Street artists are also present, as well as other animations.
Wine tourism, cellar visits and wine tasting
Wine tourism along the Luxembourg Moselle
Wine tourism enthusiasts, follow the “Weinstross” wine route. It is indicated and signposted on the roads and winds along the Moselle coast.
Take the time to stop in the different wine villages to soak up their charm: Wellenstein, Bech-Kleinmacher, Wormeldange,… Visit the different cellars of crémant or wines. Taste the different grape varieties and enjoy the local production.
You can also discover the Wine Museum in Ehnen and its 18th century winegrower’s house. This way you can improve your knowledge of Moselle wines and appreciate the different grape varieties.
In addition to the large crémant cellars, you will discover small producers. The Moselle wine producers organize guided tours upon reservation.
Characteristics of Luxembourg Moselle Wines
Wine lovers know Luxembourg’s Moselle Wines for their white, still and sparkling wines.
The best known of them is undoubtedly the Riesling. The chalky soil offers a minerality that provides complex wines with aromas of quince, apple and spices. Do not miss the rieslings of Wormeldange…
The more traditional wines of the Luxembourg Moselle are the productions of the grape varieties of elbling, less dosed in alcohol, rivaner with the flavors of muscatel or auxerrois, more fruity. Don’t hesitate to choose them to accompany Luxembourgish specialties.
The crémants of Luxembourg are also very appreciated. They win medals and awards in wine competitions every year. Cremant is the drink par excellence for festive moments in Luxembourg. It accompanies traditional celebrations and moments with friends.
Discover the Bernard-Massard cellars and crémants.
Visit the Wine Museum in Ehnen
The Ehnen Wine Museum is located at the foot of the vineyards, facing the Moselle River, in the heart of Luxembourg’s wine region. Installed in an old winegrower’s house dating from the 18th century, the Wine Museum will delight young and old, wine lovers or not!
When visiting the museum, you will see a cooperage, a distillery. You will know everything about the work in the vineyard and in the cellars, as well as the history of winegrowing in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
At the end of the visit, a tasting of Moselle wine is offered to visitors. You will be seduced!
In addition to its wine-making tradition, the Moselle Valley offers many activities for all tastes.
Boat trips on the Moselle
The Moselle River marks the natural border between Luxembourg and Germany.
You can also take a cruise on the Moselle River aboard a boat. Vineyards, villages, hills and forests accompany you along the river and through the locks between Remich and Stadtbredimus.
It is also possible to take a lunch cruise on board a ship directly at the quay in Remich. You can also book a cruise on board the M.S. “Princess Marie-Astrid”. It is also possible to rent the boat to organize your event!
Other activities in the Moselle Valley
Several sports activities take place in the Moselle Valley. Among which we find :
- the Iron Man 70.3 Luxembourg Moselle Region, organized over 3 days with the Irongirl on Friday, the Ironkids on Saturday and the Ironman on Sunday. For the Ironman, the swimmers will complete 1.9 km of swimming in the Moselle, 90 km in the vineyards and the Moselle hills and 21.1 km at the foot of the vineyards, along the Moselle. The finish is located in Remich. The next ironman will take place from June 16 to 18, 2023.
- The Schleck Gran Fondo allows you to follow in the footsteps of the Luxembourg cycling champion Frank Schleck. The next edition will take place on June 3, 2023. 3,000 participants from 35 countries will start in Mondorf-les-Bains.
- The “Route du Vin” takes place every year in September. This half-marathon gathers more than 1.800 participants. They start from Remich along the Mosel to Stadtbredimus, then Schengen and back to Remich. The next departure will be on Sunday, September 24, 2023.
In addition to boat rides on the big ships, you can enjoy water activities such as paddling, canoeing, water-skiing or even running your own boat. You can even get your boating license here.
The Moselle valley offers some nice surprises:
- follow the trail of the Romans to Dalheim. You will discover the remains of a Gallo-Roman theater and temples.
- visit the Butterfly Garden in Grevenmacher. Evolve in a 600 m2 greenhouse with thousands of butterflies around you.
- visit the cities of Wasserbillig at the German border or Schengen with its European museum. Schengen was the historical framework of the famous Schengen agreements. It is here that the European countries signed in June 1985, the agreements sealing the abolition of the borders and the free movement of the goods and the people within the Schengen Space of the signatory European countries. A piece of the Berlin Wall is visible there.
- Spend a day or a weekend at the Domaine Thermal de Mondorf-les-Bains. Relax in the 36 degree natural water, enjoy the saunas and other thermal facilities.
- The Mondorf estate has a beautiful park and a casino. It is the only establishment of its kind in Luxembourg.
- For families and the less athletic, take a walk along the docks in Remich. Then join the small park with its swings before trying the go-kart… A good time for families with young children, especially with a good ice cream or a pancake for a snack!
You want to visit Luxembourg City or the Grand Duchy? Click here for more information.
What activities and outings to do with the family in Luxembourg?