History of the Grand Ducal Palace
The Grand Ducal Palace is located in the Upper Town of Luxembourg and is the residence of the Luxembourg Grand Ducal family since 189. It also hosts the Chamber of Deputies since 1848. The facade is a Renaissance style.
Originally the place housed the Town Hall which was destroyed due to a powder explosion in the basement of the building in 1554. Rebuilt in 1573, it is then bombed by the troops of Louis XIV in 1683. Restored, it becomes the Seat of the States and under the French era shelters the Napoleonic administration. The building of “La Balance” was added in 1741. From 1815, several governmental authorities succeeded each other in the place.
During his visits to Luxembourg, King Grand Duke William II settled there, paving the way for the final installation of the Luxembourg Grand-Duke at the end of the 19th century.
During the Second World War, the Palace was occupied by the Nazis.
Grand Ducal Palace visits
The Grand Ducal Palace can be visited during summer holidays, from July to the beginning of September. The tours are guided and proposed in 5 languages, only by appointment from 10h to 17h. Reservations are made with the Luxembourg City Tourist Office. Closed on Wednesdays.
The Palace is guarded by a guard service integral part of the tourist attraction.
City Open Air Cinema with Orange
Every summer the City Open Air Cinema with Orange takes place in July in the courtyard of the Grand Ducal Palace. Classic or contemporary movies in the open air in a grandiose setting! Plastic pilgrims are provided in bad weather.
17, rue du Marché-aux-Herbes
- +352 22 28 09