The Castle of Clervaux is originally a medieval castle built in several stages on a rocky outcrop overlooking the houses of the town. It is not possible to visit it, but it houses 3 very interesting museums: the Museum of the Battle of the Bulge (winter 1944/1945), the museum of models of Luxembourgish castles and the photo collection “The Family of Man” From Edward Steichen.
The first buildings for habitation were built in the 12th century by the Count of Sponheim, family with the Count of Vianden. The Castle was extented in the 15th century with the construction of the Burgundy tower which houses a prison. The Witches Tower, built later, help to defend the building. In the 17th century, the modest homes will be replaced by reception halls, including the Knights Hall. Later administrative buildings and stables will complete the castle. Destroyed, the stones recovered from these will be used to build a stately building in the park.
After its destruction during the Second World War, the Castle was acquired by the Luxembourg State which completely renovates the building.
The Museum of models of Luxembourgish castles depicts the Luxembourgish heritage. It will delight history and model lovers.
Do not miss the permanent photo exhibition “The Family of Man” by Edward Steichen, listed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2003. This legendary collection (more than 10 million visitors in the world) brings together 503 black & white photographs taken by more than 270 photographers from 68 countries. Designed by Edward Steichen in 1955 for the MOMA of New York, this collection promotes peace and equality of men in a post-war context through humanist portraits.
Also visit the toy museum, in Clervaux.
Possibility to visit the city of Clervaux, the church and the Abbey. Duration 3 hours.
- +352 92 00 72