The Bock Rock is the cradle of the city of Luxembourg, since Count Sigefroi built a castle on this rock in 963. Despite the protective walls, the city was assaulted several times and taken prisoner of the Burgundians, Spaniards, French, Austrians and the German Confederation.
Over the centuries and the assailants, the fortress strengthened to become what would be called the “Gibraltar of the North” protected by 3 fortified belts and 24 forts. An immense network of 23 km of underground galleries dug in the rock, sheltered the soldiers and the horses, but especially allowed them to survive in spite of the assaults, thanks to the kitchens, bakeries and underground slaughterhouses.
It is after the independence of Luxembourg in 1839, that the fortress will be evacuated and dismantled, the fortifications razed to be replaced by new developments like the Municipal Garden.
The casemates, dating from the origin of the invasion of the Spaniards, then enlarged with the Vauban fortifications are registered in World Heritage of Unesco. These galleries are worth the visit, do not miss them! The DKV Urban Trail finishes in style with a last race in the dark, before returning to the Cité Judiciaire!
Starting point of the visit: Montée de Clausen. Attention to opening hours: casemates are closed from November to February.
The historical circuit Wenzel traces the history of the City of Luxembourg according to the streets and historical sites visited.