Located to the east of the City of Luxembourg, Hamm, along with Cents, is one of the rare districts, which is mainly inhabited by Luxembourgers.
Population: 1 495 at the end of 2018, 43,88% luxembourgish and 56,12% foreigners Area: 4 km2 Style: Family
Hamm, luxemburgish residential area
The origin of the district of Hamm dates from the construction of a monastery on the sector in the 14th century. Like many Luxembourg districts, the population has growned mainly with industrialization in the 19th century and the installation of the Godchaux Company, Manufacture of Sheets and Knitwear in Schleifmühle. It was closed in 1939 and the site is now visitable following the Godchaux circuit.
Originally attached to the Sandweiler Commune until 1920, the Hamm District is closely linked to Cents. Residential and quiet, it is home to the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, a cemetery of American soldiers who fell during the Second World War and the Battle of the Ardennes. The cemetery with its more than 5,000 graves can be visited every day of the year from 9h to 17h.
The houses of Hamm date from the 19th century and give an architectural cachet to the district.