Located in the north of the City of Luxembourg, Eich is one of the smallest of the City’s districts and is certainly one of the oldest.
Population: 2 961 at the end of 2018, 25,90% luxembourgish and 74,10% foreigners
Area: 1 km2
Eich, a neighborhood with a changing village atmosphere
The Eich neighbourhood, whith mainly a foreign community, has a village or small town feel with some very pretty streets but presenting a lot of traffic on the main roads. The architectural style consists in houses from the beginning of the century alongside new buildings.
The Alzette River is the natural boundary with Dommeldange and Weimerskirch to the east and Limpertsberg to the south. On the west is Kirchberg.
Originally the municipality of Eich also included the districts of Beggen, Dommeldange, Weimerskirch, Neudorf, and Rollingergrund. Like the other districts of the city, it was attached to the municipality of Luxembourg in 1920. Like Dommeldange, Eich is the witness of the industrial past of the country with the construction of the first blast furnace by Auguste Metz in 1845 and the production of cast iron until 1966. The production of cast iron objects stopped in 1975.
Today, the circuit of the former municipality of Eich proposed by the LCTO (Luxembourg City Tourist Office) allows to revisit this cradle of the iron and steel industry in Luxembourg.