Population of the district of Dommeldange
Number of inhabitants as of January 1, 2022
- of the population of the City of Luxembourg 2,1% 2,1%
- of foreign population 69,7% 69,7%
Number of different nationalities
Village and futuristic atmosphere in Dommeldange
The district of Dommeldange is divided into two quite distinct entities:
- a historical central part, located in theAlzette valley . Dommeldange was originally part of the municipality of Eich before it became part of the City of Luxembourg in 1920, which represented the former iron and steel district of Luxembourg with, among other things, two blast furnaces of the Forges d’Eich Metz et Cie. The Dommedlange ironworks was in operation until 1980. Remnants of this industry can still be found in this area.
The castle of Dommeldange was built in the 17th century by Charles Collart, owner of the forge Grunwald for his private residence. This castle still exists and now houses theChinese Embassy.
See the history of the iron mines in the south of Luxembourg.
- a more recent part, on the hills of Dommeldange, made up of housing developments, offices and hotels. The huge buildings, including the Terrasses de l’Europe, are easily recognizable. They overlook the whole valley and in particular the Route d’Echternach leading to the north of Luxembourg and the access to the northern freeway A7.
Amenities in the Dommeldange district
Schools: there is a basic school. There is also a school hostel for the children of the commune.
The Lycée des Arts et Métiers is located on 2 sites, including Dommeldange and Limpertsberg. The Emile Metz Private Technical High School. completes the offer of secondary schools in this part of the city of luxembourg.
Transportation/ bus: bus lines 12, 23, 25 serve this neighborhood.
The old part of Dommeldange also includes the railway station inaugurated in 1862. It is located on the Luxembourg-Ettelbruck railroad line.
The district of Dommeldange benefits from a very green environment, with recreational areas such as the Europe Park and the “Dreschenhaus” site (former sawmill). There are walking trails in the forest environment of the Eecherfeld and the Dommeldange Mountain.
Dommeldange also offers sports facilities such as a sports hall, a petanque field, playgrounds.
A cultural center has been set up in the former Drescher carpenter’s workshop and an outdoor skatepark in Rue Nicolas Hein.
Living in Dommeldange
Style: Family oriented, young
The district of Dommeldange is today mainly inhabited by a foreign community and has an active center which gives it an appreciable village atmosphere.
With a balanced distribution of different nationalities, Dommeldange is a pleasant district. The inhabitants do not hesitate to become owners of their homes, thus identifying themselves with their place of life, in a rather young and family atmosphere.
Price per m2 for sale
- Decline of 1.73% over 1 year (March 2022/April 2021).
- Comparative city of Luxembourg : 12.477 euros/m2
- Source Immotop
Price per m2 for rent
- Increase of 0.40% over 1 year (March 2022/April 2021).
- Comparison with Luxembourg City: 27.09 euros/m2.
- Source Immotop
OUR LATEST NEWS