Health insurance, social security and complementary health insurance

The health care system in Luxembourg is very efficient. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Luxembourg is one of the most expensive countries in terms of health care. In 2018, 6.1% of GDP was spent on health care, which was more than 4,713 euros per capita per year in 2017.

This no doubt partly explains the life expectancy of Luxembourg residents, which is among the highest in Europe. Women live up to 86 years and men 81 years, according to the latest study published by the World Health Organization in 2018.

Affiliation to the health insurance in Luxembourg

Pre-registration required with the CCSS

In Luxembourg, any person carrying out a paid professional activity must be registered with the Centre Commun de la Sécurité Sociale CCSS.

She will be able to claim health insurance, dependency insurance, maternity insurance, pension insurance or reimbursement of medical expenses .

The employee and his/her dependents must be registered with the CCSS by the employer for the employee. The CCSS then takes care of the affiliation of the person with the competent health insurance fund.

Insurance contributions will be deducted directly from gross pay by the employer. Learn more about gross/net salaries and calculate your net salary.

The spouse or partner (if not the principal insured) and children are automatically insured with the principal insured. They are called “co-insureds”. Please note that the CCSS must receive all the necessary documents for the affiliation of the principal insured (marriage contract, family record book, etc.). You can also submit your information via the NTC website.

For the self-employed, this affiliation can be done via MyGuichet.

Registration with the CNS and CMFEP health insurance companies

CNS – D’Gesondheetskeess – National Health Fund

The NHA concerns insured persons in the private sector. Click here to find out how the CNS covers and reimburses medical expenses.

CMFEP – Civil Servants and Public Employees Health Fund

The CMFEP is the Health Fund for civil servants and public employees.

Information on social security institutions

For all your questions concerning social security institutions in Luxembourg (health insurance, accident, pension, dependency, family benefits, …) consult the Luxembourg governmental website

Social insurance card with 13-digit number

After registering with your health insurance fund, you will receive a national insurance card with your first and last name and your 13-digit registration number.

This card establishes that you are affiliated with the health insurance. It is used to identify you in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in your dealings with social security institutions, healthcare providers(doctors, hospitals, pharmacists, etc.).

The 13-digit matricule number is also your personal and individual national identifier. You will be asked for it in all your relations with administrations, schools, …

You can apply for a European insurance card. This European card has two sides: one side is for Luxembourg, the other is valid in the countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area.

The European side allows you to directly address the care providers agreed in the countries of the European Union and the European Economic Area. If health care becomes necessary during a temporary stay in another Member State, the card allows :

  • the provision of health benefits according to the laws and procedures of the country where you are temporarily staying,
  • the request for reimbursement to the country of stay according to the legislation it applies or to Luxembourg according to the Luxembourg rates.

The European Health Insurance Card has an expiration date. It is renewed on request via this link.
Download the “European Health Insurance Card” application on your smartphone.

The App containing the instructions for using the European Health Insurance Card in the 28 EU Member States, as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You will find general information about the card, emergency contact numbers, covered treatments and costs, how to obtain reimbursement and who to contact if the card is lost. The App is available in 25 languages, with the ability to easily switch between them. See CNS website.

Supplementary health insurance

In addition to public health funds, supplementary health insurances allow to complete the reimbursements from the health funds.
Non-mandatory, these complementary health insurances can reimburse up to 100% of certain medical services forgotten by the NHA.

Consult the different insurance companies in Luxembourg to subscribe to a complementary health insurance.

Case of cross-border workers

The frontier worker is a special case. If they are affiliated to a health insurance fund in Luxembourg, they must also register with the health insurance fund of their place of residence in order to receive reimbursements for their health care. For this purpose, the National Health Fund (CNS) issues an entitlement document, called ” Form S1 “.

The insured person and his or her family members are entitled to Luxembourg benefits under the same conditions as Luxembourg residents. For this purpose, the health insurance fund of the country of residence sends the Luxembourg CNS (Caisse Nationale de Santé) a certificate proving that the family members are dependent on the insured person.

The legislation of the country of residence is decisive for the status of the family member entitled to benefits. If the spouse is employed in the country of residence, the family members are generally dependent on the spouse.

French cross-border commuters residing in the Meurthe-et-Moselle and Moselle departments

These documents are sent directly to the primary health insurance companies. This document is called S072. Once the registration is validated, the insured person receives a confirmation of registration from the relevant Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM). No other steps are necessary, except for border workers in the temporary sector. A written request must be made in addition.

French workers residing in a department other than Moselle and Meurthe-et-Moselle

They receive the S1 document at their private address. They must then submit it to the CPAM of their place of residence. If the insured has not received the document within 15 days of receiving the declaration of entry from the Centre commun de la sécurité sociale luxembourgeoise (CCSS), he/she must expressly request the document.